Women’s Soccer: Utes face important pair of home games this weekend

Utah soccer (3-2-2) returns home this weekend to conclude its non-conference schedule against Utah State (4-3-1) on Friday and Loyola Marymount (5-2-0) on Sunday. The two-game home stand is a welcome change of pace for a Utah team that has played five of its last seven games on the road.

Utah head coach Rich Manning explained that a win in Friday’s game would be important to the many Utah players who will be seeing familiar faces on the Aggie sidelines.

“We want to be the best team in the state, so any time we play a team from the state of Utah, it’s really important to us. We have a lot of pride,” said Manning. “I think for the players, there’s no need for extra motivating this week. They know these people, they’re friends and maybe sometimes rivals, with these other players from club and high school ball.”

Graduates of Alta, Brighton, Fremont and Lone Peak high schools will suit up for both teams, so fans can expect Friday’s match-up to be a fierce one.

However, goalkeeper Lindsey Luke downplayed the added intensity of the upcoming rivalry game and is more excited for the opportunity for the team to prove itself in front of a home crowd.

“I think every game is exciting. This one is especially exciting because we’re back home and we’ve been on the road,” said Luke. “But I think we’re going to come out with just as much fire as we would against any other team.”

Utah State has racked up four wins this season, held No. 5 BYU to just one goal and is coming off last week’s comeback victory against Idaho State in which the Aggies scored four unanswered goals on their way to a 5-3 victory.

LMU lost the second and third games of its season, but the team has since found its stride, winning its last five games. The Lions are heading into this weekend having outscored their opponents 11-1 during the five-game streak.

Pac-12 Networks soccer analyst Krista Blunk will be covering Friday’s game, and she believes Utah will have a target on its back this weekend. She also thinks for a young team like the Utes, it will be crucial for them to work on strengthening their team chemistry settling into their positions.

“Anytime you’re playing an in-state rival and you have a fairly young team, you’re not quite sure about what to expect,” Blunk said. “You’re still really trying to create a team identity, and you have young players and veteran players trying to figure out what their roles are. I think that [the Utes] are still a work in progress when it comes to that.”

The Utah offense will be challenged this weekend, as Utah State has allowed three goals this season, and the Lions have shut out five teams this year. However, Blunk stated one of the team’s greatest advantages this season has been its ability to spread out the attack and keep opposing defenses guessing.

“The Utes have balance,” Blunk said. “They do not have a lot of scoring yet, but they do have a number of players that score. Of their nine goals, eight different players have scored, so that’s a big plus. When multiple players become part of the attack, that is very helpful for them.”

On top of the team’s anticipated return to Ute Field, the rivalry with Utah State and the close of Utah’s non-conference schedule, this weekend has even more significance, because a win over USU or Loyola Marymount will mark Rich Manning’s 150th career victory over his 14 seasons at the U.

Blunk stated Manning’s achievement is one that will garner respect for the veteran head coach within the soccer community. However, his greater accomplishment is his leadership during the team’s transition to the Pac-12 and its transformation into a playoff team.

Blunk also thinks most coaches don’t emphasize numerical achievements, and Manning wouldn’t place very much value on winning a certain number of games.

“In being able to cover … Manning’s team the last few years and what he’s done with them, I know he’s all about that team and just making sure they continue to improve and grow,” Blunk said. “Getting a win is always a big plus, but making sure they’re improving and getting better, that is really the biggest focus for him.”

Manning said he didn’t even know he was close to that number. Although he appreciates having reached that many wins, Manning stressed the success of his team matters more to him than any record.

“The most important thing is that we just keep moving forward this season,” Manning said. “I’m really proud of this group, I’m really proud to coach them and I want them to be successful.”

Friday’s game against the Aggies will kick off at 4:30 p.m. MT. The Utes will take on LMU Sunday at 1 p.m. MT.

@tylerfcrum