Devontae Booker gets first breakout of the season with two touchdowns

Earlier this week during practice, Utah wide receiver Britain Covey predicted that a breakout game was nearing for Devontae Booker. He was right.

Booker helped carry the Utes to a victory in Fresno and arguably had his best game so far this season. On Saturday night, Booker had more than 200 total-yards, 157 yards-rushing on 31 carries and 56 receiving-yards, and was the leader in each of these categories. Covey referred earlier this week to the Heisman candidate as a weapon who had not reached his true potential, but that changed last night.

Booker made quite a statement against the Bulldogs as he contributed two touchdowns in the game. His longest run came in toward the end of the second quarter when he ran for 30 yards when he converted a fourth down with one yard to go. It was this play that got Utah hyped up because he was able escape Fresno’s defense with a quick spin move.

Utah running back Devontae Booker (23) runs the ball against the Fresno State Bulldogs at Bulldog Stadium in Fresno, Cali., Saturday, Sept. 19, 2015.

“It seems like I heat up when it’s fourth-and-one or third-and-two. I just go out there and run hard every play to wear the defense down,” Booker said. “When I get in a situation like that, I’m just motivated to keep pushing through.”

In the third quarter, he scored again on a seven-yard rush, and throughout the game he was given plenty of advantages to execute in high-pressure situations.

The coaching staff was pleased to see Booker take advantage of every possession. He was able to create his own space when necessary, then use his agility to leap over defenders and gain extra yards.

However, the Utes will need their offensive line, which has been struggling blocking for the run game, to keep improving so Booker can continue to have this kind of impact against future opponents.

“We had a few more creases in the running game tonight, still not enough,” Whittingham said. “There were too many guys hitting him right at the line of scrimmage, but it was improved. We just have to keep working on it. He had plenty of touches, just like we want.”

From the beginning of the season, perfecting Utah’s offensive front men has been a challenge for team, but Whittingham, while he knows they still have plenty of things to correct and tinker with, hopes they will soon be able to find their rhythm.

“We have two things to work on: Be more of a run threat, and get more chunk plays in the throwing game,” Whittingham said. “Those are our two biggest issues on offense.”

@laurenrose324