Mestizo Coffeehouse: An Eclectic Oasis From Chaos of Student Life

Backed into a secluded cul-de-sac surrounded by Citifront Apartments, Mestizo Coffeehouse (off 600 W. and North Temple) is not an easy find. Despite its charming Christmas light-framed façade, it can take a while to track down. With its intimate and eclectic atmosphere, however, the search is well worth it. Colorful chairs and tables, stacks of books and collections of mugs create a chaotic, oddly endearing setup for the coffee joint.

One of the nicest things about this coffeehouse is that it also serves breakfast items (offered all day) for those days when coffee just isn’t enough — sandwiches, sides, tea and the most amazing fruit smoothies you have ever tasted. The smoothies are made with a blend of real fruit and yogurt, with optional additions of kale or protein shots for even more health benefits. Somehow, Mestizo manages to take this typical smoothie combo and turn it into pure heavenly flavor, leaving you heartbroken when you finally hear the gurgle of the empty straw at your smoothie’s completion. Everything is delicious as well and worth every penny.

The coffeehouse’s central room serves as a mini art gallery with displays rotating from week to week. This week’s display was “The Street Bible,” a print series by artist Aaron Wallis containing images of urban icons such as rappers, drug-dealers and gang members depicted in traditional Christian iconography and illuminated manuscript.

If you ever need a pick-me-up in between classes, to start your day right or to end your day well, Mestizo is the place for you. With so many great food options you can come in early and stay late. Sneaking peeks of the wildly original art while working on homework is a cinch, since Mestizo also offers free wi-fi for those times when you find yourself in need of a homework den.

The easiest way to reach Mestizo is by TRAX: take the Red Line to Courthouse, switch to either Blue or Green, whichever comes first, then get off at North Temple Bridge/Guadalupe (if you’re on the Green Line), and walk north for less than a block. On the Blue Line, you will have to get off at Arena and either wait for a Green train or walk a little further. You can also drive there, but parking is a hassle, often resulting in having to walk more than you would have using TRAX. Besides, being nice to the environment is always a good move.

Give Mestizo Coffeehouse a try sometime — it is well worth your time.