Utah looking to utilize bye week, focused on next opponent

As a leader and captain, wide receiver Kenneth Scott has assumed the role of a positive influencer for his team this year. The 4-0 Utes have opened their 2015 season with a lot of ups and downs but have managed to stay afloat, especially on the field, but off the field as well.

It has been important to Scott, the players and the coaching staff to remain positive about their prosperity and consecutive wins.

“The main thing is just keep pushing,” Scott said. “One week you can get all the hype in the world, and the next week you can get all the criticism in the world. There’s a fine line; you gotta keep it balanced.”

This mindset and mentality motivates the Utes and gives them the energy and confidence they need to be efficient leading up to game day. This might be a part of the formula that Utah uses to avoid complacency.

“Every week you gotta come out prepared and execute or you’re just going to get beat. It’s that simple,” Scott said.

By doing this, any uncharacteristic mistakes can be eliminated, or at least limited, when it comes to competing in the Pac-12, because the Utes have already set themselves ahead of the game.

All of these steps to prepare for solid competition require balance and moderation. To avoid being in a vulnerable position to lose to any of their eight Pac-12 opponents, it will be necessary for the team to stay focused and move in strides rather than stay in one place.

To do this, head coach Kyle Whittingham continues to utilize the veterans among his team to help the others accomplish Utah’s goals. Players like Scott and Travis Wilson are a perfect fit for this formula.

Wilson is coming off one of his best games in a Ute uniform, and Whittingham saw the steady progression in his quarterback all week, physically as well as mentally.

“We felt good all week long [last week], he looked good in practice, he was still in pain even though he wasn’t 100 percent,” Whittingham said. “But towards the end of the week it became apparent that he would be the guy, and he played exceptionally.”

Utah will have a well-earned break this week with a bye on its schedule. However, Whittingham doesn’t want to let up or pull back on any crucial preparation time that the Utes have been allotted during the off week.

“This week, we’re given a lot of time off the field. Recruiting is going on constantly, every day of the year,” Whittingham said. “But you get into a groove, and it will be the same preparation for us, week in and week out. Right now we will get ready for Cal. That’s our main focus right now, and then after that, we will worry about who’s next.”

@laurenrose324