Sample Delicious Dishes at the Taste of Latin America Festival

College students can put up with the food provided at the PHC for only so long before they crave something with a little more flavor. Now that we have entered into the month of October, many students’ tastebuds are beginning to hit their breaking points. Thankfully, the Taste of Latin America Festival is here to save the day with incredibly flavorful food options that won’t break the bank.

Marco Munoz, who has served as the Director of Youth and Latin Art for the past seven years, said that his group is holding this festival “to show all the people who live in Utah our [Latin American] culture.” Originally from Peru himself, Munoz explained that though this festival will be the first to include all Latin American cultures, his group has organized Peruvian Festivals for the past seven years and know what they are getting into. They are particularly excited now that the festival will include more cultural diversity. All visitors to the festival will be able to enjoy music performed by Latin American singers and musicians while drinking yummy Jarritos beverages, a fruity drink unique to Mexico, absolutely free of charge.

If that wasn’t enough, the actual purpose of the festival is for visitors to taste truly authentic Latin American food provided by people indigenous to the cultures they are representing. So far 18 food cart vendors are scheduled for the event, representing such countries as Brazil, Argentina, Bolivia, Ecuador, Mexico and Peru, among others, all providing tastes of their food to allow visitors to try multiple food carts before deciding on one (or more) full meals to purchase. All of this, Munoz said, will be authentic: the food, the music, everything.

Whether you want to go for a few minutes or a few hours, you won’t get bored; the musicians are scheduled to switch out every hour so listeners can enjoy music from all Latin cultures and not just a few. The Taste of Latin America Festival will take place at the east side of the Main City Library, near the library’s landmark arch design. The event will go from 4 p.m. to 9 p.m. on Friday Oct. 23 and 11 a.m. to 9 p.m. on Saturday Oct. 24, and admission is absolutely free.

“I’m excited,” Munoz said. “I hope that many people come in.”

Come enjoy two days of rich cultural diversity celebrating the many backgrounds of the people of Salt Lake City.

For chances to win passes for a free buffet-style meal including dishes from multiple food trucks and for more information, visit the event’s Facebook page here: https://www.facebook.com/events/1637012819879522/.