Inside the huddle: Passing duo building off ASU, Shah generating “confidence” in secondary

Wide receiver Kenneth Scott and senior quarterback Travis Wilson have found a rhythm on offense that has enabled them to make plays effectively this season. While the Utes’ offense has struggled to find consistency in the past years, this chemistry between Wilson and Scott has always been in the works.

“The chemistry that me and Kenneth have has started since my freshman year, and we just have a great bond and a great friendship, so it shows how we play as well,” Wilson said.

Scott has earned his spot on the field as a seasoned veteran and uses his talent to teach others and lead. At the same time, he patiently waits for Wilson to get him the ball in games each week.

“Kenneth is a guy that has always been a big playmaker,” Wilson said. “I definitely think that we need to get the ball in his hands a lot more. I think that’s a part of my job of making accurate throws and getting him the ball more.”

Wilson doesn’t have a favorite receiver, but he values the ambition Scott brings to battle their opponents each week. Wilson will make things happen as long as the effort on Scott’s end continues.

“I definitely enjoy getting everybody the ball, but I know how big of a playmaker Kenneth is once the ball is in his hands,” Wilson said. “He’s capable of doing a lot of things, so I definitely like targeting him.”

“Confidence generates confidence”

Head coach Kyle Whittingham is aware of each of his players individually and what their capabilities are. Utah’s coaching staff has been confident in their players’ athleticism, mindset and ability to make plays in versatile ways. It’s been exciting for them to see players step up and to the field with eyes wide open, given the opportunity to play.

Utah has surely arrived this year, and the Utes are not holding back on the back end of the defense. The players in the secondary have been making plays all season long, and their coach is loving it.

“I can’t even comment on it other than I hope it doesn’t stop,” said cornerbacks coach Sharrieff Shah. “I think it’s a product of a few things — a lot of hard work in the off-season, a lot of continuous work in season.”

This unit is clearly clicking this year. The Utes are tied for second in the nation with 13 interceptions, and it’s not by accident. Along with Shah’s theory on the success the team is having, he attributes the increasing number of interceptions to capitalization, confidence and just simply catching the ball.

“Confidence generates more confidence, and … the chances you take as a defender depends on your memories,” Shah said. “If your memory bank is filled with interceptions, you start to believe that you can make a play, rather than being hesitant and not reacting but worrying, ‘Oh am I going to get beat?’ Especially as a defensive back, you have to have amnesia every other play.”

Hampel embraces team unity

Looking past the pressure and excitement that awaits Utah and its next opponent USC, tight end Ken Hampel has shared some thoughts on how he feels about living in Salt Lake City and the Utah football program as a whole.

“Being from the Bay Area, it’s nice to get a breath, because back at home it’s so crowded and so busy. Here, it’s relaxed, it’s nice and I really like it,” Hampel said. “It’s always fun coming out here. When you’re playing a sport, you’re going to have fun. And when you are playing at this level it’s amazing. The stuff that we have, the people that take care of us — it’s really nice.”

Understanding the chemistry of the the team came easily to Hampel, and he feels at-home and a part of the program. From the bonds that have developed over the 2015 season, Hampel trusts his teammates and looks forward to the opportunities he has to contribute on and off the field.

“It’s like a brotherhood,” he said. “Everybody is really cool with everybody. [I’ve learned] just about different backgrounds of players and [learning] where different parts of the country players come from. Hearing different stories is really cool.”

Hampel wants to continue to improve in his role as a tight end on offense with starter Siale Fakailoatonga’s injury, and he is rolling with the team’s mentality that hard work and dedication will continue to pay off.

“We want to do better in everything that we can every week,” Hampel said. “You always gotta get better. Everyone else is getting better, you gotta keep getting better too.”

@laurenrose324