Football: Isaac Asiata to honor breast cancer awareness against OSU

The Utes are now moving on after their first loss of the season, keeping their goals in mind and their eyes on a very attainable Pac-12 Championship. Without ever jumping too far ahead, Utah is looking forward to getting back on the field at home and playing its next opponent, Oregon State, at Rice-Eccles Stadium this Saturday.

“Last week was last week, but win or loss, once Monday hits, you watch the film on the game before, and as soon as you walk out of the meeting room, then it’s all about the next team, and this is no different,” said junior offensive lineman Isaac Asiata.

asiata 2

Asiata is well-respected among his team for being a vocal leader and motivator, and the offensive lineman thinks this game is about more than just winning for his Utes. It’s also about a close friend who passed away after struggling with breast cancer back in 2012.

“I’ve been looking forward to this month. It is pretty special to me personally,” Asiata said. “I mean, the breast cancer awareness thing, I think a lot of people think it’s cool because people get to wear pink, but there is a real cause or awareness behind it.”

Asiata and former teammate Travis Still have played football together since the sixth grade. They continued their friendship through football at the next level when both players committed to play for the Utes. But in 2012, Asiata left to serve an LDS mission, and during this time, Still’s mother, Shelly Still, passed away after a fight with breast cancer. Now Asiata thinks about her often when he plays on Saturdays.

“[Travis Still’s] mom was like my second mom growing up. She raised me just as much as my own mom,” Asiata said. “I didn’t get to say goodbye to her. It means something to me every month. So I look at this game, the last game of the month, as something special.”

asiata 3

For Asiata, this month is not just about wearing the pink headbands and pink socks. Rather, he sincerely hopes that others recognize breast cancer awareness as an opportunity to learn about more about the disease and to honor those who are currently struggling with it, as well as those who have passed away.

“I heard somebody say that they like this month because of the swag they get. I just thought that’s ridiculous,” Asiata. said. “Breast cancer awareness is a big thing, and I think a lot of people should know more about it, even more in-depth than it already is.”

And don’t be surprised if you see some pink hair flying around the sea of black that will be Rice-Eccles Stadium on Saturday for the annual “Blackout Game.” In honor of Shelly Still, Asiata has decided and is excited to dye a section of his hair pink for the contest against the Beavers.

Clearly, the junior offensive lineman is motivated to play in this final game of October. But pink hair or not, you can expect Asiata to be prepared to take on the Beavers to help Utah stay atop the Pac-12 South standings.

“Personally, for me, I am excited about that and just another day, to play another game on a great stage,” he said.

@laurenrose324