New Music Monday: “So Familiar” by Steve Martin and Edie Brickell

The banjo is one of those instruments that is not used as much as it should be. Its sound feels folksy no matter what a musician does with it and it carries with it feelings of a laid-back evening around a warm fire after a long day. Maybe this is why the instrument is so underused; music groups fear the unavoidable, but pleasant, baggage it carries. Those that do use it, however, stand out for doing so. Steve Martin and Edie Brickell’s new Bluegrass/Folk collaborative album “So Familiar” debuted on Oct. 30, and it blends banjo and singing, with only a bit of backup instrumentation, to perfection.

Steve Martin is famous for his comedic acting, appearing in such films as “The Pink Panther,” “Baby Mama” and “Cheaper by the Dozen,” in addition to his on-screen stand-up routines, many of which were performed on Saturday Night Live. Turns out, in addition to his admirable skills as a funnyman, Martin can also play a mean banjo. He has recently formed a partnership with Brickell, an American singer-songwriter who performed as lead singer for the New Bohemians for a time before they changed their name to Edie Brickell & New Bohemians, was a founding member of The Gaddabouts and who has performed on her own, with both bands, and in various collaborations over the years.

Brickell’s more mature singing voice fits best in an alto range with its subtly airy, but strong, sound. Her style within “So Familiar,” her second collaborative album with Martin after their first album titled “Love Has Come for You” is definitely bluegrass with a touch of folk and the implication of hopeful nostalgia that seems central to the folk genre. Martin’s banjo playing is masterful; he knows how to manipulate his instrument to produce a sound that is both mellow and exciting, especially when combined with Brickell’s voice.

“Won’t Go Back” is currently the only song fully available on YouTube. The song is dangerously catchy, with its repetition of the word “never” and the phrase “never going back” in its chorus. With such phrases as “I’ve been there; I’ve done that. I’ll go anywhere, but I won’t go back,” “If you look you’ll find me gone” and “Got you in my rearview mirror; I intend to keep you there,” the song emphasizes the fact that all experiences can be learned from, but in order for that to happen, sometimes you have to move past them. Martin’s banjo and Brickell’s voice are its stars, but backup singers and drums serve to fill up the song’s empty spaces.

“I’m By Your Side,” another song in the album, starts up with complete silence save for the quiet notes of a well-tuned piano; Martin’s banjo doesn’t make a (figurative) appearance until about thirty seconds in. Leaning toward the nostalgically melancholy side of folk music, “I’m By Your Side” is calming in ways other genres often can’t manage.

The rest of the album is certainly worth listening to, especially if you find yourself at your wit’s end with homework, midterms and life in general. Take some time to drink tea/coffee/hot chocolate and let your worries slip away with the banjo’s quiet keening.