Veteran’s Support Center is One-Stop Shop for Veterans

The University of Utah’s Veterans Support Center (Room 418 Union Building), offers military Veterans, current Servicemembers, and dependents a 1-Stop Shop to improve and enhance their academic success and help them receive the benefits they deserve. The Center serves as a liaison between the student Veteran community and the University plus provides access to the Department of Veterans Affairs.

Under the guidance of Roger Perkins, Director, the Center has brought together university and community partners to provide services and advocacy to student Veterans. Mr. Perkins and his all-Veteran staff provide access to university representatives from the Registrar’s Office (GI Bill Certifying Officials), Career Services, and the Women’s Resource Center as well as a VetSuccess Counselor from the VA Regional Office, legal services, VA Hospital counselors, and other university and community partners. The Center serves as a focal point for advocacy, support, and student Veteran activities on campus, for both student Veterans and faculty and staff.

Additional services in the Center include free computer and printing use, tutoring assistance, study areas, and a ‘Day Room’ area where Veterans can associate with one another and enjoy a free cup of coffee, tea, or hot chocolate. They also provide computer access to military records for those students still serving in the Guard or reserves.

The VA’s Vet Success on Campus or VSOC program, in cooperation with participating schools, places experienced vocational rehabilitation counselors on college campuses to assist the growing number of servicemembers, Veterans, and dependents attending school under the Post-9/11 GI Bill® and other VA educational programs. The VSOC counselors are trained to provide academic and vocational guidance to Veterans, and help connect them to other VA benefits, including health care and mental health services. They maintain a close relationships with local VA medical facilities and other resources, referring servicemembers, Veterans, and dependents as needed, and providing assistance applying for VA medical and nonmedical benefits. The University of Utah’s VSOC counselor, Alan Heal, is located in the Veterans Support Center, Room 418, Olpin Union Building.

VSOC services are available to servicemembers and Veterans (who are currently students at the U) who are eligible for any of VA’s educational programs, including the Post 9/11 GI Bill and Montgomery GI Bill, as well as VA’s Vocational Rehabilitation and Employment Program, and the Chapter 36 Education and Career Counseling program. VSOC counselors can also assist dependents of Veterans who are receiving VA education benefits, including eligible spouses attending school through the Post 9/11 GI Bill and eligible children. This is a great opportunity for transitioning Servicemembers and Veterans to get personalized counseling and support to guide their career paths, both during school and after graduation, to ensure most effective use of their VA benefits and help them achieve their goals. Visit the VSOC counselor on campus to learn more about this program.

The Veterans Support Center encourages all Veterans, servicemembers, and dependents, whether they are using VA Education benefits or not, to come in and see what the Center has to offer. Please see our website for more information: http://veteranscenter.utah.edu