Swim & dive: Utes Men’s Team Come Out on Top at the Arts Adamson Invitational

Over the course of the Arts Adamson Invitational, many Ute swimmers managed to swim better than ever, touching at incredible times, getting qualifications not just for the NCAA Championships, but also for Olympic trial cuts.

The men’s team finished first (838), knocking out the host of the meet, Texas A&M (777.5). The women’s team put up a good fight, but ended up finishing fifth in the meet. Head coach Joe Dykstra is proud of his team’s efforts, especially considering they competed with other major conferences.

“I couldn’t be more excited for the men’s team to come in here and knock off a field that consisted of SEC and Pac-12 teams as well as a really good Air Force team,” Dykstra said. “It is a great accomplishment and this will help boost us into the second half of the year.”

On the first day of the meet, the Utes were off to a solid start as they captured the men’s 400 free individual title and were well represented in nine of the 12 finals heats.

“We had six NCAA consideration cuts, including the first legs of three relays, and one new school record,” Dykstra said. “I am very pleased with the competition so far.”

Senior Bence Király stood out on the first day, taking first in the 500-yard freestyle (4:16.79) during finals. He he also secured a spot at the NCAA Championships, getting his NCAA-A time for the 500-yard free.

Senior Ashlyn Karosas also had a successful day, as she qualified for the Canadian Olympic trials in the 200-meter IM (2:22.13). Then, sophomore Paul Ungur broke the school record in the 100-meter backstroke (57:47).

After the second day of Utah’s mid-season meet, several Utah swimmers qualified for the Olympic trials, the NCAA’s and made their FINA cuts, making it another solid day for the Utes.

“We had 10 more NCAA consideration cuts and set a pair of school records tonight,” Dykstra said. “Kristian Kron for the men in the 400 IM and Jordan Anderson shattered the school record by four seconds in the 400 IM on the women’s side.”

Not only did freshman Jordan Anderson get the school record and qualify for the Olympic trails in the 400-meter IM (4:53.59), junior Stina Colleou (1:10.97) and freshman Genevieve Robertson (1:11.15) got their Olympic trial cuts Friday morning in the 100-meter breaststroke.

Kron won the 400-yard IM, setting a school record and getting the NCAA-B qualifying time of 3:46.77.

Király had another successful night and touched in at a 1:50.82 in the 200-meter freestyle, getting the Olympic trial cut. Jack Burton also got his Olympic trial cut in the 100-meter breaststroke (1:03.14). Freshman Daniel McArthur was right along his teammates as he, too, received his Olympic trial cut in the 100-meter backstroke (56.98), making it the sixth Olympic trial cut for the Utes.

On the third and final day of the invitational, the Utes finished their successful weekend with a men’s team title.

“Our men’s team had a huge third day,” Dykstra said. “To come in here and beat the hosts, Texas A&M, I can’t begin to say how proud I am of the effort and spirit they showed today.”

On the men’s side, Király continued his impressive weekend by winning the 1650 free in 14:50.19. On the women’s side, Colleou had Utah’s best finish in the pool, placing in the 200 breast with a time of 2:10.87. Robertson also reached the finals of the 200 breast and finished sixth (2:12.21), both getting the Olympic trial cuts as well.

Up next for the Utes, the men’s squad will head to Wyoming on Dec. 5 and the women’s squad will return to the pool on Jan. 6 when they travel to Oregon State.

@emileewhiteee