Book Review: “At the Water’s Edge” Combines History, Fiction, and the Loch Ness Monster

Book Review: At the Waters Edge Combines History, Fiction, and the Loch Ness Monster

Shame is a powerful thing.

It’s one of the sharpest weapons, one of the deadliest diseases, and it can cause people to do irrational things to save their reputation. This is the premise of Sara Gruen’s At the Water’s Edge.

The novel tells the story of Ellis, who is unable to serve in World War II because he is colorblind. His father, an honored colonel from World War I, considers him a disappointment, despite not having a perfect record himself. Before his son was born, the colonel developed an obsession with the Loch Ness Monster, traveling to Scotland to find proof of its existence. He became the first person to get photographic evidence of the beast. However, allegations that he faked the photographs soon began to surface, and he is unable to defend himself against the claims. To redeem himself and his father from the shame of their failures, Ellis goes to Scotland with his American wife, Maddie, and his best friend, Hank, to search for the mythical monster.

While Ellis’ quest to find the Loch Noss Monster forms the basis of the plot, the novel focuses on Maddie, who can only watch from the sidelines while her husband battles to restore the family name. Growing up sheltered in the American elite, she faces a rude awakening when she loses the luxuries and safety she is used to. While in Scotland, she learns not only about the harsh realities of the world but also truths about her husband that challenge the core of their relationship.

Gruen paints each of her characters vividly, giving each of them fleshed-out backgrounds and insight into their personalities. These characters weave together the monster-hunting plot, Maddie’s awakening and the fighting on mainland Europe to create an in-depth portrait of life in Europe during World War II.

This dramatic and intricate backdrop makes At the Water’s Edge an insightful novel that shows readers how chasing fame and glory can lead us to find the monsters within ourselves.