“Humans of New York” promotes positive social change

Humans of New York promotes positive social change

Brandon Stanton developed “Humans of New York” in 2010. This photo journal began as a way to document the many people he met while living in New York City. The basis quickly transformed from a casual collection of images into one of the most-viewed blogs in the world, generating thousands of comments and conversations on the content of each picture. Stanton’s blog has created multiple spin-offs in countless cities and countries. He has interviewed everyone from everyday Central Park frequenters, to political figures such as Hillary Clinton. He has traveled to and blogged in Iran as part of his series, and published a New York Time’s bestseller out of his experiences. His latest feat, however, has been a surprisingly pivotal, groundbreaking movement in the individualization of Syrian refugees.

By closely following a handful of refugees, Stanton was able to spread their personal stories about how they came to be settled in America (and I use that term lightly — most of these people and their families are either in the process of resettlement or are currently being divided from their loved ones because of lack of living arrangements). When the United States first experienced the influx of refugees, an obvious division in American mindsets was revealed — a general question of, “should they stay or should they go?” Rumors flew, suspicions arose and overall states took it upon themselves to make the choice.

What became astounding about the positive response to Stanton’s subjects was the mass support it gained. How, if this world is so utterly corrupt and conniving, did thousands of humans raise millions for families in need, signing petitions for resettlement, intertwining their own lives with the lives of the refugees as well as their fellow supporters to create a community of assistance?

This phenomenon is a clear demonstration of just how badly the world needs these free-thinking, innovative artists and advocates to be, produce and create. By helping us to realize and remember that each human comes from their own forms of adversity and hardships, we are able to relate to the innate humanity that inhabits all of us. As 2016 begins, a call for the underdogs can be heard around the globe, with simplicity and kindness as our best keys to breaking this world’s current code of fear and disdain.

This series of pictures and stories has done nothing but further secure our interpersonal strength and reliability. Stanton’s blog demonstrates that while we may only be shown hatred and disconnect by the media, when we really get down into the depths of it all, there is a lot more to humans than we expect.