Next Man Up — Utah Football Recruiting 2016

They hail from the sun-soaked beaches of south Florida, from the hardscrabble streets of Los Angeles and from cities and towns nestled up and down the Wasatch front. They’re four-star high school phenoms, under-the-radar local talents and junior college transfers looking to make their name on the national stage.

They have immense shoes to fill: those of a three-year starting quarterback, a two-time Ray Guy award winner, a Heisman-candidate running back and a cast of offensive and defensive standouts with All-Conference honors. They’re the members of the Utes’ 2016 recruiting class and they will be suiting up this fall, hoping to improve upon the team’s best season in the Pac-12 and add to the next chapter of Utah football.

Generally, the Utes look to have a solid recruiting class, ranked 32nd in the country and seventh in the conference by the recruiting website Rivals.com based on current commitments, behind UCLA, Stanford, Oregon, USC, Cal and Arizona State. In-state recruiting has been hugely affected by the coaching changes at programs throughout Utah, ranging from the total overhaul of BYU’s staff to the Utes’ slight rearrangement and hiring of the Cougars’ former wide receivers coach Guy Holliday.

Once again, the state’s top recruit, wide receiver Simi Fehoko, turned down offers from both Utah and BYU to accept a scholarship to conference-foe Stanford. Aside from Fehoko, the Utes have done fairly well recruiting the Beehive State’s best talent, having already received commitments from the third highest-rated players in Utah, and remaining in consideration by the second-best player, four-star defensive end Maxs Tupai.

OFFENSIVE BREAKDOWN — The bulk of the 22 players who have committed to Utah so far are on the offensive side of the ball, which is good news for the Utes, whose lack of depth in several key offensive positions hindered the team late in the season. Utah’s current recruiting class reflects two things: the team’s need for playmakers — having lost key offensive weapons Devontae Booker, Bubba Poole, Kenneth Scott and Travis Wilson — and the desire to add depth to the offensive line and running backs, both of which were areas of the team that suffered due to injuries last season.

Key notes: Wide receivers Samson Nacua and Julian Blackmon are the sixth and 13th best prospects in the state of Utah, respectively. Nacua is expected to fill in for former Timpview teammate Britain Covey while he serves his LDS mission. Tackle Garrett Bolles is the second-ranked JUCO player in the country and possibly the best member of Utah’s 2016 recruiting class, having passed up offers from dozens of Power Five schools. The Ephraim native will be a tremendous asset to the team’s run game. Dual-threat quarterback, former Washington Husky and four-star junior college transfer Troy Williams is considered by many to be the early favorite to fill in at quarterback. Meanwhile, four-star quarterback Tyler Huntley, three-star running back Zack Moss and three-star athlete/wide receiver Demari Simpkins were all teammates at Hallandale High School and have been dubbed “The Big Three,” drawing comparisons to departing seniors Travis Wilson, Devontae Booker and Kenneth Scott.

Current Offensive Commitments:

Receiving Corps

1. Julian Blackmon (WR)- Layton, UT (Layton HS)

2. Alec Dana (WR)- Ontario, CA (Chaffey College)

3. RJ Hubert (WR)- Overton, NV (Moapa Valley HS)

4. Samson Nacua (WR)- Provo, UT (Timpview HS)

5. Cole Fotheringham (TE)- San Clemente, CA (San Clemente HS)

Offensive Line

1. Garett Bolles (OT)- Ephraim, UT (Snow College)

2. Scott Peck (OT)- Spokane, WA (Central Valley HS)

3. Johnny Maea (OG)- Salt Lake City, UT (East HS)

4. Tucker Scott (OG)- San Clemente, CA (San Clemente HS)

Running Backs

1. Devontae Henry-Cole (RB)- Fort Lauderdale, FL (St. Thomas Aquinas HS)

2. Thomas McDonald (RB)- El Cajon, CA (Grossmont C.C.)

3. Zack Moss (RB)- Hallandale Beach, FL (Hallandale HS)

Quarterbacks

1. Tyler Huntley (QB)- Hallandale Beach, FL (Hallandale HS)

2. Troy Williams (QB)- Harbor City, CA (Santa Monica C.C.)

DEFENSIVE BREAKDOWN — The defensive recruits of the 2016 class have their work cut out for them, faced with the task of fighting for a spot on one of the Pac-12’s toughest defenses. There will be plenty of opportunities for these players to step up into a role, however, as the Ute defense was absolutely raided at the end of last season, losing defensive backs Tevin Carter and Ahmad Christian, defensive ends Jason Fanaika and Viliseni Fauonuku, and starting linebackers Jared Norris, Gionni Paul and Jason Whittingham.

Key Notes: Another product of the Utes’ Florida recruiting pipeline, Ohaji Hawkins’ speed and 6-foot-2 frame may help the cornerback fit in with Utah’s ball-hawking defensive backfield. Like OT Garret Bolles, linebacker Kurtis Taufa was highly recruited out of Snow College. He de-committed from the Utes last summer and verbally committed to Kansas, only to recommit to Utah again in October. Three-star Leki Fotu is the third-highest ranked recruit from the state of Utah and would be a welcome addition to the depth chart at defensive end.

Current Defensive Commitments:

Defensive Backs

1. Ohaji Hawkins (CB)- Winter Haven, FL (Winter Haven HS)

Linebackers

1. Alema Pilimai (OLB)- Tustin, CA (Tustin HS)

2. Kurtis Taufa (ILB)- Ephraim, UT (Snow College)

Defensive Ends

1. Leki Fotu(DE)- Herriman, UT (Herriman HS)

2. Semisi Lauaki(DE)- Lawndale, CA (Leuzinger HS)

SPECIAL TEAMS BREAKDOWN — The Utes, who have a tradition of outstanding special teams play, are taking a huge hit with the departure of one of the country’s best punters, Tom Hackett. In addition, the Utes will lose explosive kick returners Poole and Covey. Some stability remains, however, with the return of place kicker “Automatic” Andy Phillips.

Key Notes: Davir Hamilton and Demari Simpkins are standout members of the 2016 recruiting class due to their sheer speed and extensive talent sets. Expect them to be playing wherever they are needed on the field, which may have them returning kicks in place of Covey and Poole. Fans of Tom Hackett’s rugby-style punts need not be disappointed, as his Aussie countryman Mitch Wishnowsky will fit in perfectly with the Utes’ existing scheme. Wishnowsky has excelled at Santa Barbara Community College, earning the No. 2 ranking among junior college punters, although it has yet to be seen whether Wishnowsky will be as well-liked or quotable as the Ray Guy Award-winner.

Current Special Teams Commitments:

Return Specialists

1. Davir Hamilton (ATH)- Long Beach, CA (Long Beach Poly HS)

2. Demari Simpkins (ATH)- Hallandale Beach, FL (Hallandale HS)

Kickers/Punters

1. Mitch Wishnowsky (K/P)- Perth, Austrailia (Santa Barbara C.C.)

@tylerfcrum