Baseball: Utes Win One, Lose Three In Arizona

The Utah baseball team (2-6) competed in a four-game tournament in Surprise, Ariz., for the second weekend in a row, returning with similar results after winning one of four games. The Utes won the first contest with Kansas before losing three straight, two to Kansas State, and the final game against the Jayhawks.

“The weekend started out great. We played really well against Kansas on Friday night, but the next three games we just did not play well — we did not pitch well, we did not play good defense and we allowed way too many base runners,” said head coach Bill Kinneberg.

On Friday, the Utes enjoyed an offensive outburst, totaling 17 hits and 15 runs in a 15-1 lopsided victory over the Jayhawks. Utah was led by leadoff hitter DaShawn Keirsey, Jr. who went 4-for-5 with from the plate, hitting two RBIs. Kody Davis and Kellen Marruffo each went a solid 3-for-4 with two RBIs, as well. Josh Rose drove in two runs with two hits in four plate appearances.

Jayson Rose picked up his first win of the season, pitching for six innings, allowing one unearned run on four hits and striking out five Kansas hitters. Joshua Tedeschi entered for an inning of relief, striking out two. Trenton Stoltz threw for the Utes in the eighth inning striking out one batter, while Lars Lofgren made his collegiate debut throwing for one inning and striking out a batter.

The Utes returned to the diamond the following afternoon to play a tough Kansas State team. Unfortunately, Friday’s offensive outburst would not carry over to Saturday, and the Utes lost 9-2. The majority of Utah’s offensive output came from Keirsey, Jr., Rose and Cody Scaggari, who each had two hits in four plate appearances on Saturday. Dallas Carroll added an RBI sacrifice fly in the sixth inning.

Five Utah pitchers took the mound on Saturday afternoon, totaling ten walks in the game. Dalton Carroll (1-1) started the game, pitching 3.1 innings, allowing five runs on seven hits with four strikeouts and three walks. Nolan Stouder pitched 3.1 scoreless innings, allowing just one hit. Josh Lapiana, Andre Jackson and Tanner Thomas would all come in to pitch in relief for the Utes.

Unfortunately, the Utes’ struggles continued on Sunday as they fell 20-4 to Kansas State (4-4). Riley Ottesen (0-2) started on the mound for Utah, pitching three innings, allowing eight runs (five earned) on seven hits and one strikeout. Hunter Rodriguez pitched 4.2 innings, allowing ten runs (six earned) on seven hits with four strikeouts. Lofgren entered in the final inning allowing two runs on three hits.

AJ Young doubled in the first inning and proceeded to score on a ground out. The Utes scored again in the seventh inning when Scaggari drove in two runs on a two run homerun cutting the Wildcats lead 13-3. Chandler Anderson led off the eighth inning with a single and later scored on an RBI double off the bat of Hunter Simmons, 2-for-3 on the night. Kansas State would respond by adding seven runs in a chaotic eighth inning.

On Monday, the Utes’ final game was moved to Goodyear Ballpark, where the Utes fell to the Jayhawks, 8-4. Lapiana started for the Utes, throwing for 5.1 innings, allowing three runs on six hits with one strikeout. Dylan Drachler, the game’s losing pitcher, threw for 1.1 innings, allowing five runs on four hits with four walks. Tedeschi and Smoltz both made late inning appearances for the Utes.

Utah was led by catcher AJ Young, who went 2-for-4 with three RBIs. Scaggari also went 2-for-4 on Monday. The Utes tied the game 1-1 in the third inning after Young led off with a double to left-center, leading to an RBI single from Davis.

Kansas would take the lead 4-1 before the Utes scored three runs in the top of the seventh, tying the score 4-4. Scaggari and Marrufffo both singled to set up a three-run home run for AJ Young over the left-field fence. The Jayhawks followed that up by scoring four more runs on three hits, three walks and an error to take an 8-4 lead.

“I think it just involves our team effort. I think we were a little flat [over the weekend] and didn’t come out to compete. We had a [players’] meeting to express our thoughts … No coaches, there were a couple of captains that led it,” Young said. “There is no need to panic right now because it’s still early in the season, but after a performance like that we need to bounce back.”

The Utes will continue on the road to Houston, Texas where they will play a four-game series at Husky Field against Houston Baptist. The four-game series will begin on Friday at 1 p.m. MST.

@ArmenMShrikian