Men’s swim & dive: Sophomore Ungur breaks school record on Day 2

On the second night of competition at the Pac-12 Championships, the Utah men’s swim team advanced to fifth place with a total of 139 points, just behind Berkeley.

“We had some really good swims today,” said head coach Joe Dykstra. “Thursday isn’t our best day in terms of events, but we managed to get a lot of best times. Bence swam a tough race to get fourth place in the 500-yard freestyle. I’m pretty sure he was the only guy in that heat unrested and not shaved. We also had some great time trials this morning, with Paul Ungur breaking his own school record in the 100-yard back and Ben Scott nearly breaking the school record in the 200 fly. We are excited to get to the stroke events tomorrow and Saturday.”

Between prelims and finals, swimmers had a chance to time-trial any event they wanted. Sophomore Paul Ungur time-trialed in the 100-yard backstroke, not only setting a personal record, but breaking the school record with the time of 47.18.

Starting off finals strong, senior Bence Király finished fourth in the 500-yard freestyle, touching in at a 4:15.75, setting a new personal record. Senior Kristian Kron also swam in this event with his teammate, finishing 11th (4:19.82) in the B-finals along with sophomore Brandon Shreeve placing 19th (4:27.14) in C-finals.

In the next event, three Utah swimmers qualified for finals in the 200-yard IM. Freshman Daniel McArthur finished 14th (1:47.20) in B-finals, while junior Nolan Rogers (1:49.39) and junior Evan Indahl (1:50.08) both finished in C-finals, 20th and 22nd, respectively.

In the last individual event of the night, sophomore Sean Bloore competed in the 50-yard freestyle, placing 18th in 20.40 seconds. Teammate senior Dave Fraser swam alongside Bloore in this event, placing 24th with a 21.14 mark.

In the 200-yard freestyle relay, the team of Ungur, Bloore, Fraser and McArthur finished seventh with a 1:22.12, with a second Utah team of senior Quillan Oak, freshman Fernando Cervantes, senior Kyle Owens and junior Keanu Interone following closely behind, touching in eighth with a time of 1:23.50.

On Friday, March 4, Session 4 will begin at 11 a.m. PST, starting with the 400-yard IM and Session 5 will follow at 6 p.m. PT.

@emileewhiteee