Police Report for February 2016

Dead Body Identified

U Police identified the dead body discovered on campus Sept. 11 as Sergei Aksyonov, age 47. Responding crews discovered Aksyonov, a professor in the Department of Chemistry, lying near a cot not breathing after 11 a.m. in the Thatcher Building for Biological and Biophysical Chemistry. The university has not yet received the medical examiner’s report and denied to release the cause of death. The Daily Utah Chronicle has submitted more than five records requests and will continue to do so until more information is available. Aksyonov leaves behind his wife, Svitlana, and two children, Maksym and Anna. He grew up in Ukraine.

Female Approached Near Dorms

A female student has twice been approached by an unknown group of males while walking to the upper campus dorms. The men, which the victim described to U Police as four white males ages 18 to 22, called after her while in their car, saying “Let’s talk, baby” until she entered her building. The two incidents occurred on Feb. 10 and Feb. 19.

Four Stolen Hondas

Campus Police responded to four cases involving missing cars, all Honda Civic models, on Feb. 25. Sgt. Garth Smith, who called this an “uncommon occurrence,” said there are no leads or suspects. He is also unsure if the burglaries are related. The cars were taken from the hospital parking garage, the lot west of Rice-Eccles Stadium, and from the lot north of the Merrill Engineering Building. U Police recovered one of the vehicles. All of the owners are male; one was a student. Smith suggests those parking on campus purchase additional security, such as an alarm or the Club (a device which locks steering wheels) to prevent burglary.

Offensive Note in Union

A patron walking in the Union reported seeing a suspicious note near the den on the first floor of the building. The note, which commented on Nazis, the Mormon faith and Muslims as terrorists, was somewhat unintelligible beyond that: “The note did not make sense, but it’s offensive to the public,” Smith said. U Police are unsure who left the note on Feb. 17.

Encounter in Parking Lot

A female student reported being approached by a male in a white truck in the parking lot west of Rice-Eccles Stadium. The incident, occurring Feb. 4 after 10:30 a.m., may have been a misunderstanding, according to what the victim told U Police. Smith said the man “may have had a question about the parking spot, but [the student] saw a friend and ran to their car” just in case. She did not know the man and could not hear what he said over the loud music playing from his truck.

Harassing Voicemail

A female U employee reported receiving a harassing voicemail the morning of Feb. 19. The message contained no direct threats, but Smith said it made the victim feel uncomfortable. She has received six similar voicemails, all from a man she met online, after asking him to quit contacting her.

Stolen Signs

An unknown culprit has, for the past several weeks, stolen signs from the James Talmage Building on Presidents Circle. U Police have no leads in the case, but Smith said the damage amounts to $400. The signs include posters for upcoming biology lectures and three freestanding boards. The most recently reported incident occurred Feb. 18.

@CourtneyLTanner