Men’s Swim & Dive: Utah To Compete At The Men’s NCAA Championships

Rishi Deka, Daily Utah Chronicle
Utah Men’s swimmer Daniel McArthur swims the 200 yard backstroke during the Utah vs. USC Swim Meet at the Ute Natatorium on Saturday, Feb.20th, 2016. (Rishi Deka, Daily Utah Chronicle)

This week, it will be the Utah men’s swimming team heading to Atlanta to compete at the NCAA Championships Thursday through Saturday, with seniors Bence Király and Jacob Crayne and junior Josiah Purss.

“The men’s group is a little more experienced, so we are hoping for some good things,” said head coach Joe Dykstra. “Hopefully, a repeat performance of what Bence [Király] was able to do last year and maybe be able to rank in the top eight in the mile like he did last year. As for the divers, we are hopeful that they will earn All-American status as well.”

Last year, Király qualified in the 200-, 500- and 1650-yard freestyle events. In his 200 free, he placed 28th in prelims with a 1:35.26 but stepped up his performance in the 500 free, where he earned All-American Honors and placed 12th with a 4:15.20. He also broke the school record in this event during prelims, where he hit a 4:13.83. In his last event of last year’s championship meet, he swam in the 1650 free, where he set another school record and placed fourth with a 14:41.86.

“[Last year’s] meet went pretty well for me,” Király said. “I swam best times in all my events and even placed fourth in the mile, so it was a good meet.”

This time around, Király will be taking on those same events, and since this is his third year competing at the NCAA Championships, he has high hopes for himself in his last meet of his collegiate career.

“I would like to qualify for A-finals in the 500 free,” Király said. “It would be a step up from last year. I also want to get better in the mile, hopefully do better than fourth.”

As for the divers, Crayne had an impressive meet last year as well, taking 14th in the one-meter (355.80) and earning All-American honors. Though Purss did not qualify last year, he competed the year before, taking ninth in the one-meter (368.00), where he was named an All-American.

The 2016 men’s NCAA Championships will begin Thursday at 10 a.m. EDT.

@emileewhiteee