Designs Solicited For UCard Facelift

College is a place of change. Students switch majors, ASUU elects new officials, campus is constantly under construction and now there will be a new student UCard.

After attending several conferences and seeing other schools’ student ID cards, UCard Operations Manager Bryon Buchmiller decided to “give [the] card a facelift.” Other universities often change their designs every few years, Buchmiller said. The U has had the same design for about five years.

“We’re going for a cleaner look,” Buchmiller said. “I wanted to simplify the look and not have so much clutter.”

The U is holding a redesign contest from now until April 18, open to students, alumni, faculty, staff and anyone else who is 18 years of age or older. Judges will select ten finalists whose designs will be displayed for public voting. The winner will be selected April 29 and receive a 128GB iPad Pro 9.7 inch. Second and third place will receive gift cards to the Campus Store worth $200 and $100 respectively.

The card’s dimensions should be 2 1/8” x 3 3/8” with space for a student photo and university student identification number, and include the words “For Campus Use Only.” The design should include one of two updated UCard logos with linear font which can be found at www.ucardcontest.com.

Janny Liu, a freshman in nurusing, isn’t participating, but said she is excited for the change.

“Maybe it’s because I don’t like cursive fonts, but the new logo looks classier, more clean cut and professional,” Liu said.

Submissions should have a resolution of 300 dpi and should be submitted to ucardcontest.com by April 18 at 11:59 p.m. Designs must be submitted separately. Files with more than one design will be disqualified. The winner will be notified via e-mail and announced April 29.

@SidneyMarchant