Quick Look: Arts Venues Around the U

Photo credit: Christopher Ayers

We have a thriving arts community at the U, and through the Arts Pass you have discounted (and sometimes free) access to the majority of it. To give you a taste, listed below are just a few of the U’s many arts venues, and events for this upcoming year.

Pioneer Theatre Company: U students have the opportunity to attend professional theater performances at significantly discounted prices. Use your Arts Pass for two tickets to any PTC performance based on the following systems: tickets to dress rehearsals, the Thursday before a show’s opening, are available the Monday after the prior show closes and are free to U students. Tickets purchased in advance for any show Monday-Thursday are half-price and tickets available one hour before the curtain of any show are $5 for students. Tickets must be purchased by an Arts Pass-owning student at the PTC box office inside Pioneer Memorial Theatre on campus. Visit here for more information.

The Last Ship with music and lyrics by Sting, book by John Logan and Brian Yorkey (Sept. 16-Oct. 1, 2016)

The Glass Menagerie by Tennessee Williams (Oct. 21-Nov. 5, 2016)

Oliver! with music, lyrics and book by Lionel Bart; based on the novel Oliver Twist by Charles Dickens (Dec. 2-Dec. 17, 2016)

Fences by August Wilson (Jan. 6-Jan. 21, 2017)

Women in Jeopardy by Wendy MacLeod (Feb. 10-Feb. 25, 2017)

Chess-Concert Version with music by Benny Andersson and Bjorn Ulvaeus, lyrics by Tim Rice (three performances March 10 & March 11, 2017)

King Charles III written by Mike Bartlett (March 24-April 8, 2017)

The Will Rogers Follies with music by Cy Coleman, book by Peter Stone and lyrics by Betty Comden and Adolph Green (May 5-May 20, 2017)

Performing Arts Building
Photo credit: Christopher Ayers

Department of Theatre: Your Arts Pass also allows you to enjoy theater provided by fellow U students for free. Tickets can be obtained in advance at Kingsbury Hall’s box office or on the night of the show at the performance venue. The Department of Theatre includes both Studio 115, located in the Performing Arts Building above President’s Circle and below the Campus Bookstore, and Babcock Theatre, located in the basement of the Pioneer Memorial Theatre used by Pioneer Theatre Company.

Bring it On: The Musical, with music by Lin-Manuel Miranda and Tom Kitt, book by Jeff Whitty, lyrics by Lin-Manuel Miranda and Amanda Green

Self-Defense, or the Death of Some Salesmen, by Carson Kreitzer

Arcadia, by Tom Stoppard

Dogfight, music and lyrics by Benj Pasek and Justin Paul, book by Peter Duchan

Eclipsed, by Danai Gurira

The Two Noble Kinsmen, by John Fletcher and William Shakespeare, translated to modern English by Tim Slover (in association with the Oregon Shakespeare Festival’s Play On! Project)

UtahPresents: UtahPresents performances, which take place in Kingsbury Hall, are part of the College of Fine Arts program and include a wide variety of professional events throughout the year including music, poetry, dance, lectures and theater. U students can attend the majority of these performances for only $5, and tickets can be purchased at the Kingsbury Hall box office. Their upcoming season has not yet been announced. Visit utahpresents.org for more information.

Kingsbury Hall: Kingsbury Hall performances are not exclusive to UtahPresents. Broadway Across America is just one of the many performing companies that have used Kingsbury Hall in the past. Ticket pricing for events in Kingsbury Hall varies by performance. Be sure to check out tickets.utah.edu for updated prices.

School of Music: Most of events that take place through the School of Music are free with the Arts Pass. This includes individual faculty features and student performances playing a variety of instruments as well as full orchestras. School of Music events take place in David Gardner Hall on Presidents Circle. Check out their website to know exactly what’s going on.

School of Dance: Ballet and modern dance have recently met under the combined title of the School of Dance. All U students are invited to bring their Arts Pass for free nights of dancing provided by the talented U students in the school of dance who both maintain traditional dance forms and experiment with their genres; creating unique styles. These events take place in the Marriott Center for Dance. An updated list of events can be found here.

UMFA
Photo credit: Christopher Ayers

UMFA: Get used to hearing this acronym during your time at the U. The Utah Museum of Fine Arts can be found near the South Campus TRAX station. Usually, its doors are open and admission is free to all U students; this year, however, UMFA is undergoing renovations, meaning that it has had to get creative with its campus engagement until its anticipated opening in spring of 2017. That creativity has paid off; UMFA has hosted all sorts of events, typically free, including a series titled ArtLandish: Land Art, Landscapes, & the Environment and ACME (Art. Community. Museum. Education.) Make use of UMFA’s strong Facebook and Instagram presence for the most recent event dates and details.

College of Fine Arts: You can advantage of your Arts Pass to attend the student and non-student galleries presented in the Gittins Gallery within the Art building on campus. You can also attend lectures held within this same building given by all sorts of artists. Visit their website where you can find more information about the Arts Pass and how it works.

@casey_koldewyn