Coffee Shop Haunts: Mom’s Cafe gets the job done with a smile

University of Utah students enjoying the variety of coffee at Mom’s Cafe in the Marriott Library on Thursday, June 2, 2016

As most college students will tell you, staying caffeinated is one of the most helpful ways to get through the semester. That said, it’s important to know where to find good coffee on campus, whether it’s for a morning pick-me-up or a way to push through the last few pages of an essay.

Mom’s Café, located on the first floor the Marriott Library, is a popular spot for students either just passing through or setting up camp and staying for the long haul. It’s easy to get to, and employees make sure you get in and out in an efficient manner.

You can select the style of your morning wake up call from the blackboard behind the counter or just pick up a Starbucks beverage from the cooler. Drinks prepared behind the counter are put together quickly, ensuring that you have plenty of time to make it to your next class or study. At Mom’s Cafe you can also grab a sandwich or baked goods at the counter to enjoy in addition to your coffee. The variety of drinks, food, and snacks available makes it an excellent spot to refuel before heading back to the stacks.

Additionally, during Geek Week, Mom’s Cafe offers special discounts for coffee, energy drinks and food to make the studying process slightly more bearable.

The Café is built for longer-term enjoyment as well for those days when you have more than a few seconds to get yourself caffeinated; containing a dining area of tables, booths and counter seating, and complete with microwaves. Over the summer it’s much easier to find an empty table or booth, while during fall and spring semesters you have to stay on your toes in order to snag a seat. It’s a great place to hang out and catch up, but the booths and tables are not well known for their quiet atmosphere and may not help keep you motivated when it comes to actually getting work done. For that, you may want to move over to a bar seat.

Overall, the coffee tastes good, the service is helpful and the general atmosphere of Mom’s Café makes it a pleasant place to spend time and get caught up. It has a great central location, and employees are excellent at making sure you are helped with a friendly smile.

Rating: 4/5