Swim & dive: Utes prepare for 2016 U.S. Olympic Trials

Steve C. Wilson
Jordan Anderson, Utah Swim and Dive team August 31, 2015 in Salt Lake City, UT. (Photo / Steve C. Wilson / University of Utah)

Last month, several of members of the Utah swim team competed at the 2016 Speedo Grand Challenge (May 27-29) in Irvine, Calif. Head coach Joe Dykstra hoped to get more qualifiers for the 2016 U.S. Olympic Trials in Omaha, Nebraska (Jun. 26-Jul. 3), but only finished with a few. Though some Utes did not get the times they were aiming for, Dykstra was pleased with their performances.

“It was a pretty good meet,” Dykstra said. “We had a lot of best times, but we were hoping to get some new first-time Olympic trial qualifiers. I think everyone raced really hard, so it was a good meet.”

Of those who managed to qualify for Trials was freshman Jordan Anderson. Swimming a total of four events at the Speedo Grand Challenge, Anderson improved in two of her events, the 200-meter IM (2:19.77) and the 400-meter IM (4:52.56).

“I was pretty happy with my swims,” Anderson said. “I got a few best times so I am really looking forward to taper.”

Anderson is anxiously awaiting the experience of competing at Trials. She is also eager to get in the water with a lot of the best swimmers in the country.

Along with Anderson, freshman Daniel McArthur also competed at the 2016 Speedo Grand Challenge in several events. And in nearly all of his events, he managed to get best time, touching in at a 2:06.85 in the 200-meter IM and a 56.55 in the 100-meter backstroke. Mcarthur will also be swimming at Trials along with Anderson, swimming only the 100-meter backstroke.

“[Speedo Grand Challenge] was a fun meet,” McArthur said. “I went best times, so for Trials I just want to get a best time again, and just enjoy the meet.”

Freshman Gillian St. John and alumnus Nick Soedel will also be swimming at Trials with Anderson and McArthur. St. John will swim in the 50-meter freestyle, and Soedel will compete in the 50- and 100-meter freestyle.

“I am hoping for best times,” Dykstra said. “I want them to make semifinals. I want them to advance at Trials, not just participate in the prelims, but advance to at least to the semi-finals.”

Divers senior Jacob Crayne and junior Amanda Casillas represented Utah at the U.S. Olympic Trials (Jun. 20) in Indianapolis, Ind., with Crayne competing in the three-meter springboard and Casillas slated to participate in the 10-meter platform.

“I’m really proud of Amanda and Jake, and at the same time very excited to see them compete at the U.S. Olympic Trials,” said head diving coach Richard Marschner. “Getting to this level is a testament to their incredible work ethic. They have achieved so much in their time at Utah.”

Crayne finished 27th in the three-meter springboard, but unfortunately for Casillas, she scratched the 10-meter platform.

“Unfortunately Amanda couldn’t give it a go today, but she has lot to look forward to next year,” Marschner said. “I’m proud of everything Jake has accomplished during his time at Utah. This was the cherry on top of a fantastic career.”