ASUU Promotes Student Involvement

(Model Released), Jessica Patterson, [email protected], Matt Miller, [email protected], Jack Bender, [email protected] of Utah students pose for various lifestyle photos and portraits for marketing collateral at various location on the campus of The University of Utah in Salt Lake City, Utah Wednesday April 20, 2016. (Photo by August Miller)

Associated Students of the University of Utah, otherwise known as ASUU, is a way for students to become more involved on campus while enjoying and taking advantage of all that the U has to offer.

All students enrolled at the U are already registered as members of ASUU. Upon getting involved with ASUU, students will have the choice of over 600+ different student groups and clubs to join. In addition to clubs, ASUU also hosts free concerts, food, movies, dances and parties for students throughout the year.

ASUU offers many different leadership positions for students to get involved with. Or, for students who aren’t interested in a leadership position, they can get involved through one of the multiple groups already established on campus, or even create their very own new group by applying online.

In order to better serve and understand the needs of students, ASUU also offers 15 student-run boards to oversee programs run for the student body. Boards include Academic Affairs, Campus Events, philanthropy and service boards, and many more.

The main goal of ASUU is to get students involved throughout the university by the means of their student government. In addition to that, however, there are the administration’s main platform goals which include reapportion of student fees, campus and community engagement and changing the identity of ASUU.

“As the student government at the U, ASUU seeks to serve students in a multitude of ways, including student group support and funding, concerts and speaker event hosting, and aiding in various student initiatives,” said Jack Bender, Student Body President. “We aim to create an inclusive environment in our office where every student who is interested can be involved throughout their college experience in whatever they are passionate about. ASUU is one of the largest student governments in the nation, and we pride ourselves on our ability to actively engage a wide variety of people on the U campus. Whatever your background, whatever your interests, ASUU can provide a safe and welcoming place for students to explore their involvement opportunities.”

The U offers different kinds of clubs relating to athletics, recreation, arts and entertainment, academics and professional development, as well as some focusing on social and multicultural issues. ASUU also provides funding, advice and more ways for students to find and connect with people who share their same interests.

Getting involved while students are at the U is one of the best ways for them to build real-world experience, make lifelong friends and create a positive impact on their future. To find out more about all that ASUU has to offer and learn about what the newly-elected president and vice presidents have in store, visit asuu.utah.edu/slcparty.

@Kelsey_Kenyon