Head to Head: Comfort or Fashion?

[row cols_nr=”2″]

[col size=”6″]

Clothes Convey Confidence

Kamryn Broschinsky

There are cardinal rules that we as children are taught: share, play nice and eat your vegetables. As we grow into adults and prepare to start our own lives, the advice turns into things such as to be respectful, be on time and dress nice for job interviews.

As someone in a managerial position for the first time, I’m understanding the importance of this last one more and more. If I’m interviewing you I’m not going to expect you show up in a three-piece suit. That would just be ridiculous. But I don’t think its unreasonable to want someone to show up looking their best-dressed and invested.

For my first job ever I worked at Forever 21 and I feel like in terms of fashion, it was a baptism by fire. In no way am I claiming that Forever 21 is the head of the fashion game, but I remember spending more money on clothes than I ever have in my life in the year that I worked there, which is a hard thing to do considering the price points of your average Forever 21 merch. While I worked there, I learned what words like ‘embellished’ and ‘distressed’ meant in terms of clothing.

Contrary to popular belief, it isn’t just about what’s on the inside. Granted, personality is a pretty important aspect, but when it comes down to it looks are also important. Not in the shallow “looks are the only thing that matters” way, but humans are inherently visual creatures. Before you even have the chance to open your mouth when meeting new people, you’ve already made an impression and conveyed a vibe through what you’re wearing.

Why do you think people wear make-up? It’s essentially the equivalent of tying a blanket around your neck and pretending that you’re some kind of superhuman. Few things can convey confidence in the same way that dressing well can. No one’s going to confidently strut around town in a day-old T-shirt and pants that make MC Hammer seem like he had good taste.

How you dress says just as much about you as how you speak and act. We’re all adults here (for the most part) and that means wearing a button-down and some nice slacks to your next job interview. It means no more jeans at your best friend’s wedding and no more socks with sandals.

I’m not above rocking a messy bun and sweats to my 7:30 a.m. class–no one is. But for the important things, put a little extra time and effort into how you present yourself and people will take notice, I can promise you that.

[/col]

[col size=”6″]

Form Should Follow Function

Brad Bennion

Fashion. When I think about this word, I picture models and runways. I see thin models strutting down a runway wearing this year’s latest “trend” while hundreds of photographers snap photos.

The other thing fashion makes me think about, is PAIN. The phrase “pain is beauty” is a motto I’ve heard in movies and in reality. Women and men often wear ridiculous and often painful items for the sake of fashion.

High heels, skinny jeans and unsupportive shoes all lead to one thing. Anger.

So why do we do this? As adults attending college, why do we allow our moods and our bodies be held hostage by fashion? Aren’t we smart enough to figure out that we should be happy?

Wearing comfortable clothing is one of the best ways to be happy.

The best time of the week for almost everyone is when they can lay around their dwelling in their sweats. They feel comfortable and because they’re comfortable, they are happy, relaxed and enjoying life.

If we have these feelings while wearing comfy clothes, why don’t we do it all the time? Shouldn’t we be happy as much as possible?

I am a strong proponent of wearing the most comfortable clothes comfortably.

During the week, you can generally find me wearing something rather simple. A t-shirt or polo shirt that might be a bit large, but fits well, jeans and tennis shoes. This allows me to be “modest” while still being as comfortable as possible.

The other aspect of fashion that is really important to me is utility. Some people wear different accessories or other baubles to stand out. I don’t understand this. If I’m going to put something on my body, it better have a pretty good reason to be there.

I was recently speaking with someone who is very into the fashion scene. We were discussing the idea of “fall fashion.” Many people love fall fashion because it gives them the opportunity to break out their jackets and boots.

Now, when I think about wearing boots, it’s usually because I’m going outside to clear all the snow from my driveway. But when I asked this fashion fanatic, she said that you shouldn’t wear your boots in the snow because it could ruin them. HOW THE HELL DOES THIS MAKE SENSE?

Let me make one last thing clear: I am all for people looking good. The idea of “dress to impress” is a very real and valid point. But once you’re done with whatever event requires you to look good. Change into something comfortable.

The moral of the story is, if you’re going to wear a jacket, boot or any other item, make sure that it has use. Utility and comfort are the most important things you should be thinking about as you raid the piles of clothing on your bedroom floor.

[/col]

[/row]