The Search for Sustenance – What You Can Find at the Student Union Food Court

The U has a very active student Union building, and there are a number of resources and features incorporated into the center. One of the most popular attractions is the Union Food Court, which holds many dining options including Papa John’s, Panda Express, Einstein Bros. Bagels, Jamba Juice, Café Ibis coffee and a number of grab-and-go options.

Megan Duffy, a Union Food Court regular, stated, “I like to eat here three to four times per week.  I love the breakfast burritos.”

Breakfast and lunch options at the Union are plentiful, though dinner is less prominent.  The food court opens at 7:30 a.m. and closes at 6:00 p.m. Monday-Thursday and 4:00 PM on Fridays, so the peak times of day are focused around breakfast and lunchtimes.

Scott, a Jamba Juice employee, said, “Our busiest times of day are from 10-2 and 3-6.”

A food court worker, Daniel agreed, “If you come between 10 and 2 you might have to wait a bit.  Since we close pretty early, we get really busy during lunch time.”

The Union Food Court also gets a pop of business around 7:30-9 a.m., when students are headed to their first classes of the day and need to get something on the go.

The menu options offered are quite diverse, and almost any student can find something to enjoy while there.

JAMBA JUICE

Jamba Juice is located on the eastern end of the Food Court, next to Einstein’s Bagels and the Crimson Common.  Enthusiastic workers take orders and have smoothies, energy bowls and juices out at efficient speeds.  Their menu consists of:

Energy Bowls: A blend of whole fruit, fresh greek yogurt, topped with an assortment of dry toppings and fresh fruit.

Fresh-Squeezed Juice Shots: Small shots of fresh-squeezed juice filled with vitamins and nutrients.

Fresh-Squeezed Juices: Glasses of freshly-squeezed juice of varying flavors and varieties.

Smoothies: Made from from fruit and fruit juice blended together, these smoothies are a healthy and tasty option.

Tasty Bites: Healthy food options, including oatmeal, artisan flatbreads, baked goods and snacks, breakfast wraps, and bistro sandwiches.

PANDA EXPRESS

Panda Express is in the center of the food court, between Jamba Juice and the UMarket.  This California-based Chinese food chain serves up a variety of options:

Entrees: Panda offers many great choices, such as Orange Chicken, Kung Pao Chicken, Black Pepper Chicken and Broccoli Beef.

Sides: Chow Mein, Fried Rice, Mixed Vegetables, White Steamed Rice, and Brown Steamed Rice.

Appetizers: Chicken Potstickers, Cream Cheese Rangoon, Chicken Egg Roll, Veggie Spring Roll, and Crispy Shrimp.

img_1595EINSTEIN BROS. BAGELS

Einstein’s is one of the Union’s most popular attractions and their menu is wide and diverse.

Bagels and Shmear: Einstein’s has bagel choices varying from asiago to chocolate chip to pumpernickel, and you can purchase the bagels in large boxes as well.  They also have quite a few shmear options, including maple, blueberry, honey almond, plain and everything in between.

Egg Sandwiches: This bagel shop also sells egg sandwiches, which consist of bagel buns with eggs, bacon, ham and swiss, and other options sandwiched between.

Hot Sandwiches: They also provide some hot sandwiches, such as spinach and artichoke chicken, chicken pesto and pizza bagels.

Students can also purchase coffee, tea, snacks and pastries and artisan beverages.

img_1602THE FOOD COURT/ UMARKET

This section of the food court, the farthest west attraction, contains the most options.

Papa John’s Pizza: Recently-baked pizzas of various toppings.

Soup Station: Fresh soup, changing occasionally.

Breakfast Burritos

Sandwiches and burgers

Café Ibis Coffee

Chop’d: hand-tossed salads

Multiple grab-and-go options

If you’re hungry on campus and want to get food in a positive environment with a lot of options, check out the Union Food Court, located in the basement of the A. Ray Olpin Student Union.