Warming Weather and What to Wear: Masculine Spring Essentials

Photo by Kiffer Creveling

If this early spring has caught you off-guard in terms of what to wear, don’t start panicking. I’ve got you covered with a comprehensive list of men’s spring fashion essentials to keep you comfortable during the year’s trickiest transition time.

Light Wash Jeans

A solid pair of light wash denim are an absolute must for spring and always carry over perfectly into summer. I recommend rolling the jeans up several times to get a cropped effect. As the Utah sun starts to heat things up, these choices will keep you more than cool.

1. Machus-  The Classic Skinny Jean in Light Wash Blue -$160.00
    Alright, now, I know the price tag may have just made your jaw drop, but you may want to consider these if you’re looking for a pair of jeans which won’t only outlast this coming spring, but the dozen or so that will follow. These jeans are hand-made in downtown LA with a high-quality cotton-poly blend.
  2. Cheap Monday X Urban Outfitters- Tight Worn Stonewash Skinny Jean – $75.00
    For those looking for that perfect skinny fit in a more affordable price range, this pair of denim is the right call. These jeans are a cotton-spandex blend which offers more than enough stretch for added comfort.
  3. Levi’s- 510 Skinny Fit Stretch Denim in Reznor – $69.50
    As far as bang for your buck, these are probably your best option. An absolute classic, you can never go wrong with a pair of Levi 510’s.

Ripped Black Jeans

A black pair of denim should always be in the rotation of your wardrobe, regardless of the season. Some may find this a little tough, given how hot these can get during the day. With that in mind, it might be worth it then to get yourself a pair of scissors and go to work in order to let that spring breeze through. If you’re a beginner at distressing denim, I recommend carefully watching this video by GearedTowardGear before taking a pair of scissors and some tweezers to any brand-new pair.

1. Machus- The Classic Skinny in Black Over-Dye – $160.00
    Again with the $160 pair of jeans? These will be more than worth it if you can get that perfect level of DIY distressing. Make sure to practice on a cheaper pair first, though!
  2. Represent- Destroyer Denim in Vintage Black – $137.37
    This UK brand is known for making some of the best-distressed denim on the market. Quality is a given as each pair are hand-distressed in Europe. If you’re looking to really go for that blown-out knee style then look no further. Besides, no DIY required.
  3. Levi’s-510- Nightshine Skinny Jean – $70.00
    These cannot come more highly recommended considering I have two pairs of these myself. Just a disclaimer: if you plan on distressing these jeans you should know that the horizontal threads are a dark green.

Denim Jackets 

A light wash denim jacket is easily one of the most versatile things you can have in your wardrobe during the warming months. I usually just throw mine over a plain white or black tee with the addition of a flannel every once in a while when things get a little cooler. You may be able to bypass all these pricier options if you’re willing to spend time thrifting around.

1. Zanerobe- Greaser Denim Jacket Busted Blue Thrash – $180.00
    Calling this a staple piece would probably be an understatement. Highlights on this beautiful distressed jacket include side zip pockets, reinforced distressing and paneled sleeves which keep the whole look very sleek and slim.
  2. Levi’s- Trucker Jacket in Icy Stonewash – $89.50
    If you’re looking for a more subtle denim jacket, this should fit the bill. Classic construction is paired perfectly with the ideal “icy” stonewash color.
  3. Urban Outfitters- BDG Core Denim Trucker Jacket – $79.00
    The first time I heard UO’s house brand was going to start rolling out denim I was extremely skeptical. Being an ex-employee for the company, I handled quite a lot of these jackets–and I have to say I was pleasantly surprised. The price tag is a little high but the quality does equal Levi’s.

Plain White Tees

Not much to say here. Everyone needs a white tee they can throw under just about anything they’re wearing. If you don’t have a high-quality white t-shirt in your wardrobe it may be time to go shopping…Asap.

1. John Elliott- Classic White Crew – $64.00
    This is the perfect t-shirt, hands down. It’s made in L.A, and you may end up living in this tee. Stay true to size and note that the length is slightly elongated.
  2. Zanerobe-  Tall Tee in White – $50.00
    Along with its black acid-wash counterpart, I wear this t-shirt far too much. I personally love the longer fit since it’s ideal for tucking into any pair of jeans. I usually give the sleeves a couple rolls for a timeless look.
  3. Urban Outfitters- Feathers Heavy Roll Sleeve White Tee – $28.00
    Solid construction that’s sure to last you a while; an excellent cheaper alternative.

Rain Jackets 

Now that the snow has melted away, you’re going to be looking at protecting yourself from pretty consistent rainfall. You’ll notice that the color ways I’ve chosen are all fairly dark. Since spring fashion tends to entail a lot of brighter colors, it’s nice to be able to counteract that once in a while whenever the sun goes away.

1. Represent- Zip-Up Rain Jacket in Maroon  – $218.54
    Effortless cool and attention to detail are what really sell me on this piece. If you’re willing to spend that extra bit of money, this jacket will keep you more than dry while also turning a few heads. The jacket is also outfitted with RiRi zippers, the absolute best in the market.
  2. RAINS- Long Jacket in Black – $99.76
    As far as keeping you dry, this option takes the prize. This classic silhouette goes well below the hip and comes with an elongated hood to ensure not a drop of water gets in. This is the way to go if you’re looking for a functional yet classy raincoat.
  3. RAINS- Jacket in Forest Green – $85.96
    Although I’m slightly more partial to the longer version of this jacket, the color in this shorter one is remarkable. Whether you decide to go for the longer or shorter form, I’ll be shocked if you aren’t immediately sold on this rich forest green.

Shoes

I will be keeping things strictly monochromatic for spring shoes. Next time you see yourself replacing those low-top white converse sneakers, consider these as more respectable alternatives.

1. Dr. Marten’s- 1461 Mono in Smooth White – $115.00
    The slightly off-white leather on these is an excellent twist. I recommend keeping pant styles relatively simple with this pair of derbies. A great combination of refinement and quality.
  2. Nike-Air Force 1  – $90.00
    These are by far the edgiest option available. For that reason, they must be styled appropriately: perfect when pairing with more modern high-fashion cropped pants that have a looser fit. Male fashion icon and YouTuber, Avery Ginsberg, wears them constantly and knows exactly how to pull them off. (His Instagram account, for those interested in true shoe style, is @averyginsberg.)
  3. Adidas- Stan Smith  – $75.00
    Technically these are cheating on the monochrome rule but there’s a reason that green splash of color has become so iconic. The slim, simple design of these shoes make them easily the most wearable option out of these three. An absolute classic.

As long as you’re able to grab at least a few of the items of this list, you will be more than prepared for whatever Utah decides to throw at you this spring–unless it happens to snow.

@daanielsonn