Season of Discovery: A year in Review for Artists of the Week

Over the years, the University of Utah has produced some talented and eclectic artists in a variety of fields, some of whom are innovating new works and branching out into uncharted territories. At the heart of every artist is the love and passion that drives them.

“Art is just a part of this endeavor we’re all a part of, which is understanding our world,” said Nalini Nadkarni, a biology professor at the U. This first fearless Artist of the Week loves trees, and channeled that love into one of the most environmentally-damaging industries: fashion. Nadkarni partnered with the head of the U’s design program, Brenda Van der Wiel, and together the pair made an eco-friendly fashion-forward clothing line.

“We have a lot of collaborative places,” said Levi Rogers about La Barba Coffee roasting company, the brainchild of three Utah alums including current CEO Josh Rosenthal and Gabbi Lemanski. The creators truly love their coffee and are dedicated to making it the old-fashioned way. Their first shop, called Cafe Madsen, was even on campus, and La Barba Coffee can now be found at Whole Foods and Harmons. La Barba roasting master Lemanski is also a performer and was featured in “King Donald I” on April 18.

“We are part of our own narrative,” said Jeff Metcalf, a professor at the U. He became obsessed with telling the stories of the voiceless. He teaches “Life through the Lens,” a course about making documentaries. The themes of the course vary widely but the goal is the same: telling unheard stories and finding a community for artists to grow in.

Charlie Hastings’ displayed his woodwork of various types of wooden symmetry at Arts of the World Gallery on Friday, September 16, 2016

“I knew it was special, it was beautiful, so I kept bringing it along,” said Charlie Hastings, a geography major who now teaches yoga and has his own custom furniture business at Wood Revival. The artist specifically works with building altars.

“The arts play into everything — it’s not just something you do for fun,” said Sarah May. As a  board member of the Downtown Artist Collective, her love is not only for art, but the artists behind it. She created a space for artists of all disciplines to work, play and see what each other are doing — a place where all are welcome.

“It’s to keep the understanding of who we are and where we come from,” Pahponee said. She was one of 22 artists featured for her work by the Natural History Museum at their fourth annual Indian Art Market. She creates clay and bronze to tell stories and share her native language through pottery.

Colby Russo creates “a bridge between art and the public.” As a sophomore at the U in the Entrepreneurship program, he started Evok Clothing Collective. He integrates art using unique designs, and he aspires to work with the local arts community as his company grows.

“I really like engaging with an audience,” said Franny Gleave, ringleader of Bancho. The singer is pursuing a theater arts degree at BYU after spending her freshman year at the U.

“I wanted to represent the more transient, vibrant community,” said local artist Danny Stephens. This U grad works with many different media with the purpose of increasing awareness of various social issues. He seeks to invoke positive change through collective thought. He created an app called “OKA” to raise positivity through group meditation, an art piece with a different medium — people.

“I need to figure out a way to make this song awesome and not give up on it,” said Matt Mascarenas about his work on his EP, “Rough Year.” The album was a part of his process in redefining how music is made. Mascarenas’s goal is to use music to process the stresses and negativity of life. He decided he didn’t want to be mad anymore, and started writing as a way to get through it.

“We want to focus on community outreach, because the thing with art is that it crosses boundaries,” said Elizabeth Fine, a chemistry major and French minor at the U. She is one of three honors students to start a group dedicated to getting more artists’ work seen. Together they established an arts competition to stimulate the community to present work.

“In a way, I felt that I had to go out and pursue my dream,” said Leah Hassett about the support she received from her parents and teachers while studying musical theater at the U. The alum is a triple threat: singer, dancer and actor. She moved to California then moved on to New York after graduation, but is currently back in Utah performing in “The Will Rogers Follies” at Pioneer Theater opening on May 5.

Danika Bond, team manager and co-captain of the Crimson Flyers, said, “No matter where you go in the country, you will be able to find Quidditch people.” The Crimson Flyers make up the U’s very own muggle Quidditch team, and Bond is dedicated to the sport and the people with whom she plays it with.

Dollhouse is a collaborative project centered around the reclamation of femininity as power directed by Gretchen Huff (right) and Marissa Mooney (left) on Wednesday, February 1, 2017

Two women, Gretchen Huff and Marissa Mooney, are passionate about femininity. They directed “Dollhouse,” an interpretive staging exploring and celebrating the roles of the female. The show with a title harkening back to Henrich Ibsen’s controversial piece debuted on Feb. 10.

“[Writing isn’t] always my mode of expression, but it’s my first choice,” said Nic Contreras about his life and his participation in “Writers Resist.” This U English major helped raise around $3,000 for the American Civil Liberties Union. His first love may have been music, but his writing is where his voice is currently making an impact.

“A lot of things were troubling me about [the environment], so I wanted to do my part to protect it,” said film maker Nick Vincent. Vincent is an environmental studies and sustainability major at the U with a passion for film and photography. He channeled his passion into his favorite subject: the outdoors. He now works to raise awareness about the environment and its degradation.

Nick Nash is reconnecting with “a language we all speak.” His love is music. This U graduate is currently in Nashville studying law, but he hasn’t let his love of music slip. He recently dropped an EP; “Fear of Perdition.”

Michael Thompson Brown is “learning to value the work.” He is a graduate of the Actor Training Program at the U and currently lives in New York. He finds himself blending music and acting. His ideal project would be a 90-minute Batman show with one man and himself on the drums.

Associate professor Lien Fan Shen in the film and media arts department was honored this year as part of Celebrate U for her piece exploring female masculinity in Taiwan. Her project is called “Seeing Through the Eyes of Crocodiles” and is only one of the artist’s many notable pieces. Next, she plans to look at the issues surrounding pollution in the state of Utah.

The U has refined, supported and blossomed many diversely talented artists. More years of artistic brilliance in and around our community are sure to come.