Williams: Tragedy Turns Conspiracy

Back to Article
Back to Article

Williams: Tragedy Turns Conspiracy

By Brook Williams

Sept.11, 2001 is a tragic day in American history. A day that resulted in one of the largest domino effects to this date. The events that happened that day and the reprcussions that came from the attack on the twin towers are horrific.

It is hard to find any silver lining through the musty cloud of darkness. However, I am one for seeking out any glimpse of light in a dark situation, that is why during this time of the year I find comfort in drowning myself in online articles or Youtube videos that share conspiracy theories that people have come up with about 9/11. This is why I have compiled a list of some of the craziest ones, or maybe the truest ones. That’s for you to decide.

Inside Job

A popular theory is that the government did it. Simple as that. It was an inside job constructed by the Bush and Cheney Administration in order to take over and control the financial and oil reserves in Iraq. Personal, selfish motives of this administration are to blame for the war, the billions of dollars of United States debt, and for people who died during 9/11 and the domino events that occurred afterwards.

Act of Revenge 

Another theory is that this was an act of revenge. President George W. Bush and Dick Cheney organized 9/11 in order to justify going to war to kill Saddam Hussein who threatened to kill Bush’s father. Bush wanted to reap revenge on Hussein by using billions of American dollars to fund a war that killed millions. Good one, theorists, this is quite a Shakespearian conclusion you’ve come up with.

Economy Boost

How about this one: 9/11 was a scheme to boost the economy. How, you ask? Well it indeed boosted the expenditure on the military which trickles down into many different sectors. According to USA Today, “The business of war is profitable. In 2011, the 100 largest contractors sold $410 billion in arms and military services.” Declaring war is the easiest way to increase spending without going through the senate for consent.

Hussein to Blame

Perhaps the most insane theory is that Hussein had anything at all to do with 9/11. It was widely believed that Hussein is responsible for all of it. Not only was this an unproven theory that has since been so thoroughly debunked to the point that it was determined to be an actual lie spread by Bush and Cheney. This lie was sold to the American people to get us on board to start a war.

Putting these provoking theories aside, the events that came after the fall of the twin towers are just as devastating as the day in September that changed the course of the future. The war has killed hundreds of thousands of Iraqis, tens of thousands of Americans and has injured and wounded hundreds of thousands of American soldiers. The war has cost America over a trillion dollars. Allow the theorists to conspire, but the reality of what happened on Sept. 11, 2001, will forever be a day that goes down in history as one of the most tragic this world has ever seen.