Computer labs in the Marriott Library on the University of Utah campus, Salt Lake City, UT on Thursday,Aug.24, 2017 (Photo by Ben Mccleery/ Daily Utah Chronicle)

Anyone trying to view the University of Utah’s Student Life Center website through Google on Sunday night may have seen a little more than they bargained for.

Beginning Sunday evening, students attempting to access the facilities page on the Campus Recreation Services website on Google reported being redirected to various pornographic pages. Those using other search engines, however, didn’t run into the problem.

According to University Information Technology (UIT), the snag was a Google issue.

“We’ve already contacted Google,” said a UIT representative.

The hiccup appeared to be fixed Monday morning. UIT’s Information Security Office worked to establish a temporary work-around for the website until Google mends the issue.

UIT said, “We’ve never run into this problem before.”

@emilyreanderson

This story will be updated as more information becomes available.

Emily Anderson
Emily is the former executive editor of The Daily Utah Chronicle and Wasatch Magazine. She studied journalism and the Middle East. Between 2015 and 2019, Emily covered stories from nearly every beat at the Chronicle. She was previously a contributor at SLUG Magazine, and has interned with RadioWest, KUER News and The Salt Lake Tribune.