Student Life Center Website Redirects to Porn

Back to Article
Back to Article

Computer labs in the Marriott Library on the University of Utah campus, Salt Lake City, UT on Thursday,Aug.24, 2017

(Photo by Ben Mccleery/ Daily Utah Chronicle)

Computer labs in the Marriott Library on the University of Utah campus, Salt Lake City, UT on Thursday,Aug.24, 2017 (Photo by Ben Mccleery/ Daily Utah Chronicle)

Ben Mccleery

Ben Mccleery

Ben Mccleery

By Emily Anderson

Anyone trying to view the University of Utah’s Student Life Center website through Google on Sunday night may have seen a little more than they bargained for.

Beginning Sunday evening, students attempting to access the facilities page on the Campus Recreation Services website on Google reported being redirected to various pornographic pages. Those using other search engines, however, didn’t run into the problem.

According to University Information Technology (UIT), the snag was a Google issue.

“We’ve already contacted Google,” said a UIT representative.

The hiccup appeared to be fixed Monday morning. UIT’s Information Security Office worked to establish a temporary work-around for the website until Google mends the issue.

UIT said, “We’ve never run into this problem before.”

@emilyreanderson

This story will be updated as more information becomes available.