Satisfying Your Cravings On Campus

Justin Prather
People line up in front of the Cupbop food truck during lunch on the University of Utah campus. (Photo by Justin Prather | The Daily Utah Chronicle)

College students are either sleep deprived or hungry. Most of the time it’s both. As new students at the University of Utah, you will be getting advice from people left and right, whether it’s from your classmates, orientation leaders or professors. The advice in this article will be the advice you’re most thankful for when you are starving between classes or looking for a quick bite after a long day of work.

At the U, we have a wide variety of places to eat. Most people eat their lunch at the Union. Food selections include Einstein’s Bagels, Panda Express and Jamba Juice. The eateries are surrounded by tables and booths so you can do work easily. Since it is so popular, try to get there early to beat the lines. For example, Einstein’s is usually line-free around 2:30 p.m. In college, planning ahead in case something happens is always a good idea.  

Starbucks, which is located in the campus bookstore, will surely satisfy your caffeine fix. As per the Starbucks menu, there’s a variety of snacks served. Starbucks always seems busy, but the employees are efficient and it’s not long before you’re ready to go. At the other end of the bookstore everyone’s favorite popcorn is served — and remember the popcorn is free on Wednesdays. Candy and other snacks that are good for on the go are found in that area. 

If you want coffee but aren’t near the bookstore, there are 12 other locations where coffee is served across campus to help you get through the day. One is at the Utah Museum of Fine Arts. The UMFA is home to a quaint and delicious little coffee shop. 

On the bottom floor of the Marriott Library sits Mom’s Cafe, which can serve as an alternate caffeine fix. They have an assortment of small snacks like yogurt and fruit, which you can eat while you travel along campus. Mom’s Cafe is usually busy around 11-1 for lunch rush but otherwise is a great stop-and-go snack shop. Mom’s Cafe is open a lot later than the campus store in case you need to pick something up as you head home for the night. 

At the Marriott Library Plaza, there are food trucks every day. Tacos, Bento, Melty Way, Tandoori and a barbeque food truck are all great options to feed your cravings. The lines for these trucks get long quickly, so arrive as soon as possible. They usually get there at 11 a.m. and leave by 3 p.m., and some of the trucks don’t come regularly. Don’t forget the food trucks outside of the Student Union either. A Cupbop truck and Falafel Tree truck can often be found there.

A lesser-known cafe hides in the C. Roland Christensen Center, which is located across from the Spencer Fox Eccles Business Building. This cafe serves a daily special and has desserts, snacks, drinks and coffee.

This is only a preview of places to eat on campus. Many buildings that I have and haven’t listed have snacks. Snacks will be your savior, so consider the spots on your daily route so you can access them quickly. Happy eating!

@palak_jayswal