Keeping It Fresh: Eat Local Week

Chris Ayers
A sign showing the U farmers market Students pass at Tanner Plaza.

As college students, it can often be hard to eat healthy. Those fruits, veggies and whole grains take time, energy and resources. It becomes much easier to drive through some fast food chain and grab your usual meal. However, Urban Food Connection of Utah is creating a challenge called “Eat Local Week” during the week of Sept. 8 through 15,  to change those habits and to help Utah agriculture in the process.

Describing this initiative, Urban Food Connection of Utah said, “Eat Local Week celebrates the regional harvest, promotes local agriculture and the preservation of Utah’s agricultural heritage, and brings people together as a community.” We now have a clear and wonderful way to give back to the Salt Lake community as students at the University of Utah. By eating locally we can not only help our city, but make a choice to eat healthier and more organically.

Part of Eat Local Week will involve a local eating pledge. If you are one of the first people to take this pledge on Sept. 8, at either the Salt Lake City Downtown Farmer’s Market at Pioneer Park or the Wasatch Community Garden Tomato Sandwich party, you can potentially receive a Free Eat Local Week gift bag, full of some pretty valuable treats for any person in need of food. If you are not up for attending the Farmer’s Markets early in the day, there is a recipe challenge for those who love to cook, and there happens to be a pretty nice prize for the winner. “To participate, submit an original recipe or revamp a classic using local ingredients.” More information can be found at the Urban Food Connection of Utah website. Not only are these two interactive activities happening, but throughout the week, tons of festivals and new events will be occurring all over town to help support eating locally.

Throughout the Salt Lake area there are numerous farmer’s markets, and even one on our campus here at the U. Let’s just say you can usually find a nice market almost everyday of the week. The ones closest to campus are:

University of Utah Farmer Market, held Thursdays at Tanner Plaza west of the Union.

Wasatch Front Farmers Markets, held Saturdays at Gardner Valley Farmers’ and Art Market and Sundays at Wheeler Farms Farmers’ Market.

Downton Farmers Market, held Saturdays at Pioneer Park.

Be sure to engage in this fun week of healthy eating and support your local community. More information for markets can be founds at slcfarmersmarket.org.

@AbigailRaasch