Relive the Glory Days of the 90s with Goo Goo Dolls

courtesy+Flickr
courtesy Flickr

The Buffalo native rock band, Goo Goo Dolls, is hitting the road again for their “Dizzy Up the Girl” 20th Anniversary Tour. The album was originally released in 1998 and launched the band into mainstream music. The band is coming back to play it in its entirety along with other famous songs from their discography. With hits like the band’s most popular successful song, “Iris” which was ranked #1 on Billboard’s “Top 100 Pop songs 1992-2012,” this tour is not one to miss.

Goo Goo Dolls started in 1986, a true rock band formed in a garage with their name picked hours before their first gig. The name was inspired from a True Detective ad for a toy which was named “Goo Goo Doll.” With Johnny Rzeznik on guitar and vocals, George Tutuska on drums and percussion and Robby Takac on bass and vocals the band released their first album “Goo Goo Dolls” in 1987 and a year later it was picked up by a large record company. From there on out the band navigated their musical careers, crafting four more albums before Tutuska left the band in 1993 and was replaced by Mike Malinin.

In 1997, Rzeznik worked with the film crew behind “City of Angels” to create something for the soundtrack. The resulting song, “Iris,” led to the band’s launch into true fame. It was nominated for three Grammys and also went triple platinum. Rzeznik admits writing this song was a turning point in the band’s sound. He was going through a case of writer’s block when he was asked to join on the project and the ballad was unlike the band’s previous punk rock sound. To this day, Rzeznik and Takac remain in the band and continue to tour their albums. The band has a long-lasting reputation, especially in their hometown of Buffalo, New York. On a terribly rainy day in July of 2004, the band performed a free concert for their hometown residents and it was captured for a DVD about the band. July 4, 2004, was officially proclaimed “Goo Goo Dolls Day” by the city of Buffalo.

In an interview with Billboard magazine reflecting back on their band’s career and history, Rzeznik says why this tour is so important, “This tour is really something for more hardcore fans. People who were really into that record will get to hear it live from start to finish, the way they listened to it on their CD player.”

Don’t miss out on the chance to see them perform “Dizzy Up the Girl” which sold six million copies worldwide, went platinum in the United States and is home to five top ten singles.

You can see the “Goo Goo Dolls” perform hits from their entire discography on Thursday, Nov. 1 at the Depot in Salt Lake City. Keep in mind you must be 21 years or older to attend this show. You can buy tickets and look into VIP packages here.  Tickets start at $49.50.

@palak_jayswal