Utes Head to L.A. for Match Against USC

Kiffer Creveling
The Utah Utes celebrate after defeating The Purdue Boilermakers in an NCAA Volleyball tournament at the Jon M. Huntsman Center in Salt Lake City, Utah on Friday, Dec. 1, 2017 (Kiffer Creveling | The Daily Utah Chronicle)

Ready to wrap up the regular season, the University of Utah volleyball team will have two matches this week starting with USC in Los Angeles California on Wednesday, November 21 and then will head back to Salt Lake City for their last regular season match against Colorado on Friday, November, 23.

The Utes are hoping to finish off the regular season strong as a team. They have been working on the little things to help make their team that much better.

Last weekend, the Utes went 1-1 on the weekend with a loss against No. 16 Oregon and a win against Oregon State. The Utes finished the match against Oregon State with four players reaching double-doubles, including setter Bailey Choy and outside Hitters Dani Drews, Kenzie Koerber and Megan Yett. Utah is now 16-13 overall and 8-10 in Pac-12 play.

This past weekend USC also went 1-1 on the weekend with a 3-2 win against Arizona and a 1-3 loss against Arizona State. During the match against Arizona, USC’s outside hitter Brooke Botkin set a new career high of 75 attacks. During her game against Arizona State, Botkin had her 11th double-double of the season, making her a key matchup for the Utes outside hitter Dani Drews, who also has double digits in double-doubles so far this season. USC currently holds an overall score of 20-9 and are 12-6 in Pac-12 play.

Utah has not yet played USC yet this season. Last time USC was up against the Utes, the Trojans were able to take a conniving win, with a 3-1 victory. The Utes have lost the last two matches against USC.

Upon finishing this match, the Utes will look forward to their last match of the regular season here at the Huntsman Center against Colorado on Friday, November 23 at 12:00 p.m. Students are allowed free entry for themselves and four guests for all home volleyball games. Students will need to present valid student ID at the door of the Huntsman center for entry. All seating is general admission. The match against Colorado this Friday will be live streamed on the Pac-12 website, along with live stats provided at www.UtahUtes.com.

@LeilaniGastelum