Track and Field Set to Compete in First Indoor Meet of the Season

Kiffer Creveling
The University of Utah and Weber State host the Spring Classic at the McCarthy track & field in Salt Lake City, Utah on Friday, April 6, 2018. (Photo by Kiffer Creveling | The Daily Utah Chronicle)

At the turn of the semester, students at the University of Utah can look forward to the track and field season. The team is set to compete in their first indoor meet of the season this Saturday, Dec. 1 as they head up to Ogden to compete in the Weber State Winter Open.

This will be the first of ten meets for this indoor season. This meet will be the first of two times the team will compete at WSU.

The team will also be competing in two meets hosted by Boise State, two by the University of Washington, one by the University of New Mexico and one by University of Colorado-Boulder.

In last year’s indoor season, the team finished in 12th place overall in the Mountain Pacific Sports Federation (MPSF) championships.

There are a few new faces that fans might see in action this weekend. Fans have seen some of these athletes before, including Scarlet Dale, Kennedy Powell, Sara Leonard and Sophie Ryan, who competed with cross country this past season.

Also joining the track and field team this season will be Brooke Manson, Grace McLaughlin, Taylor Watson, Skyler Blair, Katrina Broadhead, Lauren O’Banion, Kayla Rees, Maya LeBar and Kolbi Sims. Brooklyn James will also be joining, after spending the first few months of her freshman season with the university soccer team.

Sims is a transfer student from San Jose State University, who will spend her final Track and Field season competing for the Utes.  

Also making her track and field debut will be Sarah Feeny. Feeny will be listed as freshman in the sport while being a junior on the cross country team. The team will also have two redshirt freshmen who will be eligible to compete this season. Both Clara Woolnough and Emma Earl will be available for the team.  

While some events will take place on Friday, the bulk of the competition for the Utes will happen on Saturday. The women’s events are set to start at 10 a.m., with the last event set to begin at 12:40 p.m.

The athletes competing in each event are yet to be announced.

The team will be back in action next Friday, Dec. 7 as they compete in the Olympic Oval Time Trials in Kearns. This will be the last meet of 2018 for the team. They will resume competition in early January. 

@s_mora99