U Student’s Company, Thirst, Participates in the Light the World Campaign

Courtesy of Thirst Drinks

For the last three years at Christmas time, the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints has held a campaign called “Light the World.” During the month of December, the members of this church are encouraged to participate in each of the 25 days leading up to Christmas, each day has a different task and every week has a different theme.

According to the Light the World website, the LDS church does this campaign because “Jesus Christ, the Light of the World, spent much of His ministry caring for individuals, one by one. Join us this Christmas as we follow His example and find ways to share our time, love, and resources with those in need.”

The campaign has sparked many to do community service and has also influenced the local Salt Lake City company, Thirst Drinks.

Thirst, a local business, serves sodas and other treats. They are hosting three different campaigns of their own to promote service this holiday season, something that they are calling #ThirstLightsTheWorld.

“The idea of it stemmed from the campaign that the LDS church did the #LightTheWorld campaign a couple years back with their 25 days of service,” said Ethan Cisneros, co-founder of Thirst and University of Utah student. “We took what they did with that and added a couple more parts to make for #ThirstLightsTheWorld.”

The first event that they have going on through the month of December is their version of 25 days of service, which details a different way to get involved each day. Some of their days allow for participation and donation from their customers, while others are simply acts of service that will be performed by Thirst themselves. The details of the each of the days can be found on Thirst’s website under the #ThirstLightsTheWorld tab.

On Dec. 22, there will be “Wrapping Presents,” where the Thirst team will wrap the presents bought to them at the cost of donated money for families in need.

Thirst has selected three families who are in need. The three families, all remaining anonymous, have provided some description of their age and likes. Thirst has asked the community to donate what they already have or what they could afford to purchase to give to these families. Donations can be made at the Thirst store or via a Facebook fundraiser available @thirstdrinks on Facebook.

The last event, going on until Christmas, is if you come into the store you can add a dollar to your purchase and Thirst will donate one cookie to the homeless. Their goal is to have 1000 cookies to deliver to the homeless shelter for Christmas Eve. They will write your name on an “I Donated” paper cup that they hang around their store.

Both Light the World and Thirst Lights the World campaigns aspire to inspire the community to provide service to those who are in need this holiday season. Whether you donate a dollar to give a cookie to the homeless, make a gift donation to a family or participate in one of the other days of service, there is something for almost anyone who wishes to get involved.

@kate_lyn_noel