Most Anticipated Books of 2019

Curtis Lin
Books in the Salt Lake City Public Library in Salt Lake City, UT on Tue, Jan. 9, 2018. (Photo by Curtis Lin/ Daily Utah Chronicle)

The best way to usher in a new year is to look forward to exciting new books, movies and music. Whether they are continuing old traditions or establishing new trends, 2019’s slate of new releases promises to tell a variety of stories in all types of genres.  Here’s just a few to keep I’ll be keeping my eye out for:

“99 Percent Mine” by Sally Thorne
From the author of “The Hating Game,” this novel follows the life of Darcy Barrett, a photographer who has yet to find a guy who measures up or compares to Tom Valeska, her brother’s best friend. When circumstances bring them back together, Darcy decides she’s tired of settling for “good enough” and is intent on making Tom 99 percent hers.
Coming: Jan. 29, 2019

“The Age of Light” by Whitney Scharer
This debut novel is about Lee Miller, a Vogue model who becomes a photographer. The novel mostly focuses on the romance of Miller and the photographer Man Ray in Paris, but her transformation from a “muse to an artist” is the most remarkable feature of the book.
Coming: Feb. 5, 2019

“I Owe You One” by Sophie Kinsella
Kinsella is known for her witty, relatable characters, and her newest protagonist, Fixie, is no exception. After she saves a man’s laptop from a coffee accident, the two stay in contact through a series of favors for the other. The last thing either of them expects is to fall in love.
Coming: Feb. 5, 2019

“More Than Words” by Jill Santopolo
Santopolo is back after her previous novel “The Light We Lost” shot straight up bestseller lists. In her new novel, the protagonist Nina is right on track with her life until her father passes away and a secret keeps her from going after what she’s always wanted.
Coming: Feb. 5, 2019

“Sissy: A Coming-of-Gender Story” by Jacob Tobia
A memoir about gender and stepping away from gender-based prejudice, this debut will not only tell an important story but also shows those who aren’t queer why understanding and acceptance is necessary. From Goodreads, this summary puts it perfectly: “A memoir about what it’s like to grow up not sure if you’re (a) a boy, (b) a girl, (c) something in between, or (d) all of the above.”
Coming: March 5, 2019

“The Testaments” by Margaret Atwood
This is the sequel to the jarring, horrifying and extremely important dystopian novel “The Handmaid’s Tale,” set in a world run by Christian tyrants and their biblicized ideologies. There is little known about this book except that it is set 15 years after the completion of the first and will have three different narrators.
Coming: Sept. 10, 2019

I’m always looking for more books to read. If you have any you’re looking forward to in 2019, leave them below in the comments!

@palak_jayswal