Tomlinson and Schow Shine at Oregon State Invitational

Mitchell Schow, Utah Golf September 3, 2019 in Salt Lake City, UT. (Photo / Steve C. Wilson / University of Utah)

By Ryker Jackson, Sports Writer

Following a darkness delay, the University of Utah golf team came in third at the Oregon State Invitational on Oct. 15 in Corvallis. The team tied with the University of Arizona for third. The Utes were led by standout performances from senior Mitchell Schow and junior Blake Tomlinson.

The second round was called early because of darkness.  A shotgun start for the final 18 holes began immediately after the second round was concluded.  The tournament ended later than expected, and the players were required to play more than 18 holes in one day.

Following day two of the invitational, Head Coach Garrett Clegg said that he was not completely satisfied with the performance of the team overall, but that both Schow and Tomlinson were performing up to their abilities.

“Blake and Mitchell were really good for us today,” Clegg said. “They each have been playing well, unfortunately the other guys didn’t have their best day.”

He remained hopeful, however, saying that he was excited to see how the team would play when finishing out the last 19 holes the following day.

The final day of the invitational was like the second, with both Schow and Tomlinson playing extraordinarily well and the rest of the team not quite keeping up.

“They were both very solid each of the three rounds,” Clegg said. “It was strange that we didn’t have any of our other three players really get anything going.”

During the final round, Schow finished tied for fifth out of 80 players. He shot an eagle on hole five. Then followed it up with birdies on both holes 11 and 12.  He ended his day with a final score of 3-under.

Tomlinson also had a good final day.  He had three birdies and tied for ninth overall. Next on the team was Tristan Mandur who shot a 7-over-par, landing him in 28th place overall.

Javier Barcos shot a 12-over-par and tied for 45th.  Tuesday was his season-low round of 72. Peyton Hastings also tied for 45th ending his tournament where he competed as an individual with a final score of 12-over par.

The final player in this tournament for the Utes was Jordan Costello, who tied for 69th overall with a final score of 18-over-par.

The Utes are looking to improve their depth at the next tournament, which will be held Nov. 4-6 in Monterey, CA for the St. Mary’s Invitational.

@rykerjackson97