Utah Lacrosse Set to Begin 2020 Season at Rice Eccles

University of Utah’s Men’s Lacrosse Team huddled up in an NCAA Men’s Lacrosse game vs. Vermont at Rice-Eccles Stadium in Salt Lake City on Friday Feb. 1, 2019. (Photo by Curtis Lin | Daily Utah Chronicle)

By Carlos Padilla

The long wait is finally over. Fans of the University of Utah lacrosse team will be treated to a season opener in their backyard. Much anticipation preceded this season, as the Utes look for a rebound after a disappointing 2019 campaign. With a final record of 5-10-0, the 2020 Utes come in with a chip on their shoulder.

The Utes have a rare opportunity to reset their home field statistics. This season marks the first that the Utes will play in their new home stadium on campus. Until recently, the Utes called the stadium of local Catholic high school Judge Memorial home. Perhaps with the move to Ute Field, the Utes will be able to defend their house more efficiently.

While the 2019 campaign did not go as intended, there is light at the end of the tunnel. The Utes ended last season with a 16-10 victory over Detroit Mercy. Ending a season on success, regardless of how the rest of the games panned out, always leaves room for excitement and a renewed sense of dedication toward the upcoming year.

Such momentum seems to have carried over into the very early 2020 season. In a pre-season scrimmage against the Providence Friars, the Utes came away victorious. With a respectable record of 7-9 the previous season, a win against Providence should, if nothing else, help restore some pride and confidence into this young Ute program.

Head coach Brian Holman appeared pleased after the scrimmage. “I thought we did a nice job,” he said in a statement to Utah Athletics. “We came out and were prepared. The guys did what we asked them to do and played hard. They executed for the most part, and we’ll get better at that also. But the biggest thing was that I thought we played as one.”

With the season opener against Bellarmine approaches ever closer, lacrosse fans are anxious to see how the young Ute program will fare. With more experience, the pride of playing on campus, and having something to prove, all eyes will be focused on the 2020 lacrosse season.

The Utes are set to take on the Knights on Saturday, Feb. 1 at 1 p.m. The game will take place at Rice-Eccles Stadium. For those who can’t make it in person, the game is available via the Utah live stream.

@CPadil67