Utah Lacrosse Wins Close Game at Jacksonville

University of Utah senior Jimmy Perkins (4) during an NCAA Lacrosse game vs. the Furman University Paladins at Rice-Eccles Stadium in Salt Lake City on Saturday, Feb. 22, 2020. (Photo by Jalen Pace | The Daily Utah Chronicle)

By Carlos Padilla

The University of Utah lacrosse team secured a victory this weekend against Jacksonville University. 

The Utes trailed early in the game, with Jacksonville taking a quick 2-0 lead. However, the Utes rallied back and went on a run, scoring six goals unanswered. While the Utes threatened to run away with the game, Jacksonville responded and tied the game 7-7. 

Utah responded, led by Cole Brams and Colin Burke, with two more goals before halftime. As the first half clocks hit zero, the Utes held a 2-point lead of 9-7.

The Utes pressed their advantage, beginning the second half. Jimmy Perkins and Burke tallied two more for the Utes, extending the lead to 11-7. Utah continued to hold the Dolphins at an arm’s length for the remainder of the match, not allowing them to bring the game within two scores. When all was said and done, Utah walked away with a 15-11 victory. 

Head coach Brian Holman was proud of how his team played in the face of adversity.

“I thought we played some really good lacrosse against a quality opponent. I’m happy with all facets of our game today. I thought our defense played well. We’ve played two goalies the last two games, which seems to be working for us, and I thought they played well. I thought we looked like we were having fun. We played loose and just enjoyed the process.”

“It’s a great day to be a Ute and we’re anxious to get back and get some rest and be ready to roll on Monday for a tough Mount St. Mary’s team next weekend. We dedicated the game to Sam Glauser, one of our fans who recently passed in an accident. I thought that our guys really took that to heart. We’ll bring his family the game ball.”

Utah was led in scoring by Perkins, who had four goals on the night. Burke, Branden Wilson, and Mac Costin all racked up two goals apiece. Utah also shot a respectable 37 shots on goal with 15 turnovers. 

The Utes will take on Mount St. Mary’s next weekend in Maryland. 

@CPadilla67