Cushman: Young Men are Struggling — Grass-Roots Community Building is the Answer

Mary Allen

(Design by Mary Allen | The Daily Utah Chronicle)

By KC Ellen Cushman, Opinion Writer

The growth of the manosphere has prompted concern across the globe. The manosphere is an online community that promotes traditional masculinity, along with misogyny and violence against women. As a result, we often frame conversations about masculine online spaces to emphasize their danger to women. However, these growing communities, which target mostly young men, also illuminate a crisis among them.

Young men seek community and purpose but struggle to find it. This leaves them vulnerable to manosphere creators shilling pyramid schemes, life coaching and bad podcasts. The extreme misogynists behind the manosphere are not the root of the problem: a lack of community is. In the Salt Lake area, Jacob Mader has created a space for young men to build a healthy community through his project, the Unsupported-Support Group.

A Crisis for Young Men

Young men face unique struggles in today’s economic landscape. Men feel pushed to the sidelines of the economy due to a number of changes, from an influx of women in the workforce to a reduction in male-dominated fields, according to an NPR article about the book “Of Boys and Men.” In some cases, their role as family providers has become less necessary as women have become more economically independent.

Looking past the economy, many young men also encounter social hurdles. Men are socialized to avoid talking about their feelings, which can lead to a lack of emotional intimacy with those close to them. Some young men face problems in dating as well, as singles today prioritize emotional vulnerability in relationships, something men are still socialized against. This all contributes to feelings of loneliness, with men reporting greater loneliness than women and less emotional support from friends.

These challenges stem from changing expectations around gender. Despite gender roles shifting in recent decades, our culture still enforces traditional expectations of men and women. Society still teaches men to be strong, stoic providers, but the pathways to and need for that have been largely erased. This leaves them feeling isolated and left behind.

That isolation sets the foundation for manosphere creators to form male communities centered around misogyny. Nonetheless, even when young men don’t engage with the manosphere, the isolation they experience still causes harm.

Loneliness correlates to increased rates of suicidal ideation and suicide. In Utah, we know the effect suicide can have on our communities. Suicide was the leading cause of death among 10-17 and 18-24 year-old Utahns in 2020. What’s more, from 2019 to 2021, men had a higher suicide rate than women in every age group.

Men are struggling in our country and our state. Creating healthy communities for young men is critically important. Mader’s Unsupported-Support Group offers not only a space but also a blueprint for how to build community among those feeling isolated.

Grassroots Community Building

On the the Instagram for the Unsupported-Support Group, Mader explained he felt compelled to make a space for young men after experiencing personal loss and acting as a sounding board for people in his own life. The project started simple, with a plan to offer a space for young men to meet and talk. Even looking at the Instagram page, you can see some of this simplicity. There isn’t branding, official logos or organizational backing. There’s just an offer to create community for young men who need it. Mader explained that this is somewhat intentional. He hopes that in reaching out to other young men with “authenticity and vulnerability,” they’ll feel open to giving those things as well.

Mader also explained why he wanted to create a space for young men specifically. He referenced how men feel pressured to be “stoic and handle things” while simultaneously acting as someone to “lean on,” but they often don’t have spaces to open up and talk. He wants men to have a community to talk and share feelings so they can bear the burdens in their lives.

Mader’s model for building community resonated with me, even though it wasn’t built for women, because its grassroots style could be emulated by anyone feeling lost. I’ve felt isolated in my own life, and I know many people my age feel the same. Gen-Z has been dubbed “the loneliest generation” because more than half of us report regularly feeling lonely. Mader told me “I don’t own support groups,” and he doesn’t. Those of us feeling lost or isolated should build or seek out communities where we can engage with people in real life and find emotional fulfillment. We all deserve spaces where we feel supported. Sometimes it just requires taking the leap to do it.

@cushman_kcellen