The Daily Utah Chronicle

YAF Distributes Tickets for Ben Shapiro at the U

YAF Distributes Tickets for Ben Shapiro at the U

By Emily Anderson

September 25, 2017

A line of more than 1,000 people snaked around the Union building at the University of Utah on Saturday morning as the school’s Young Americans for Freedom (YAF) chapter distributed free tickets for a Ben Shapiro speaking engagement. YAF only had 400 tickets and 50 standby slots available for the...

One U Student’s Fight for a Future in America

One U Student’s Fight for a Future in America

By Emily Anderson

September 25, 2017

As a child, Francisco Juarez didnít know he was undocumented. All of his life, save the first six months, was spent in the United States. His outlook on life changed, however, when his college-educated mom emerged from a job interview crying. She went in confident that she would get the job, but the...

U Students Call on Administration to Cancel Ben Shapiro Event

U Students Call on Administration to Cancel Ben Shapiro Event

By Emily Anderson

September 13, 2017

Upwards of 50 students spent approximately four hours outside of University of Utah President David Pershing’s office Tuesday demanding he cancel a speaking engagement for Ben Shapiro, a right-wing political figure, that is currently slated for Sept. 27. The protest was organized by the U’s chapter...

U Officials Respond to DACA Rescission

U Officials Respond to DACA Rescission

By Emily Anderson

September 7, 2017

In the wake of President Trump's announcement Tuesday that he aims to end the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) policy, officials at the University of Utah have voiced their support for an estimated 250 "Dreamer" students. The DACA program, introduced by former President Barack Obama in...

Proposed Bachelor Degree a Game Changer

Proposed Bachelor Degree a Game Changer

By Emily Anderson and Mackenzie McDermott

September 5, 2017

The University of Utah is hoping to take advantage of the growing gaming industry by offering a Bachelor of Science in games. The program proposal says would attract more high quality students to the school. According to SuperData, a group that researches the market for games and interactive media, gamers will spend mo...

Officer Placed on Leave, Officials Respond to Alleged Assault and Wrongful Arrest of U Nurse

Officer Placed on Leave, Officials Respond to Alleged Assault and Wrongful Arrest of U Nurse

By Elise Vandersteen Bailey and Emily Anderson

September 1, 2017

Salt Lake City police officer Jeff Payne, who was involved in the alleged assault and wrongful arrest of University of Utah Health nurse Alex Wubbels, was placed on leave Friday afternoon along with a second unnamed officer. Salt Lake County District Attorney Sim Gill and Sheriff Rosie Rivera will op...

How Our Schools Now Would Affect U Students

How Our Schools Now Would Affect U Students

By Emily Anderson

August 19, 2017

A proposed ballot initiative could bring $23,625,723 to the University of Utah at the cost of an increase in state taxes. The Our Schools Now campaign would give a total of $700 million to Utah schools, 85 percent of which would go to primary and secondary schools, while the remaining 15 percent ...

U Students Attend, Speak at Rally in Response to Racist Posters, Charlottesville Violence

U Students Attend, Speak at Rally in Response to Racist Posters, Charlottesville Violence

By Emily Anderson

August 15, 2017

Upwards of 1,000 people gathered at the Salt Lake City and County Building on Monday to oppose a white nationalist rally that resulted in violence in Charlottesville, Virginia, and racist flyers posted at the University of Utah. The Facebook event called the posters “deplorable” and “heinous.” ...

Racist Posters Found on U Campus

Racist Posters Found on U Campus

By Emily Anderson

August 12, 2017

Racist posters were found taped around the University of Utah last week. The flyers were reportedly found in and around the George S. Eccles Student Life Center, as well as outside the J. Willard Marriott Library. In a statement released Thursday, the U said by the time they found out about the posters...

U Students and Faculty Voice Concerns Over $10 Million Koch Foundation Donation

U Students and Faculty Voice Concerns Over $10 Million Koch Foundation Donation

By Emily Anderson

August 7, 2017

The University of Utah will debut the Marriner S. Eccles Institute for Economics and Quantitative Analysis this fall, but some students and faculty are concerned that one of the donations funding the endeavor threatens the independence of the Institute. The George S. and Dolores Doré Eccles Foundation...

Stay Up to Date!
Stay up to date with our top stories delivered straight to your inbox!
We respect your privacy. No spam. Ever.