Jack O’Leary (center) is running for ASUU President with Chloe Shewell (right) and Parker Madsen (left). (Courtesy the O’Leary Ticket)

ASUU Elections: The O’Leary Ticket

On the O’Leary ticket is ASUU Presidential Candidate Jack O’Leary, Vice President of Student Relations Candidate Parker Madsen and VP of University Relations Candidate Chloe Shewell.

The O’Leary ticket has chosen to focus on three overarching pillars for their campaign — acceptance, affordability and accessibility. They chose these focuses after their experiences as students at the University of Utah. Their slogan is “Empower change and elevate experience,” O’Leary said.

Shewell is a sophomore honors student studying finance and chemistry, O’Leary is a junior honors student majoring in economics and political science, and Madsen is a junior pursuing economics. 

As VP of University Relations candidate, Shewell is looking to revamp several aspects of the Housing and Residential Education process, including the housing sign-up process, better supporting resident advisors, and reevaluating dorm costs to support students with lower socioeconomic statuses. 

One of Madsen’s overarching goals is to create a multicultural center within the heart of campus. He also aims to revisit the U’s dry campus policy, to better serve the students who are over the age of 21.

Madsen said as a ticket, they have developed strong relationships with the current university leadership, but they are not afraid to go up against them in order to stand up for the priorities of the students and represent them. 

As part of his presidential campaign, O’Leary aims to revamp the scholarship dashboard of the U to better utilize funds that do not find their way into the hands of students.  

Even though all members of the ticket are involved in other aspects of campus life, O’Leary wants to make clear their commitment. “I can say this confidently for all three of us is that, if elected, representing students in the student body presidency would be our number one priority,” O’Leary said. We want to make sure students really have the resources, the skills and the confidence to be able to achieve on this campus, have a sense of belonging on this campus, and have a great time in college learning.”

@AllisonChrony