3 Tips for a beautiful Valentine’s Day

— Connor Allen

Feb. 14 can be stressful if you haven’t secured your plans. Don’t let your hair and make-up stress you out any more than it has to. Read on to see how you can turn your regular, romantic-comedy life into a story with a glamorous fairy-tale ending.

RELATED: THE 5 BEST PLACES IN SALT LAKE TO TAKE YOUR DATE ON VALENTINE’S

1. Rom Com and a Bowl of Popcorn

If your Valentine’s Day plans involve staying in for the evening with your significant other, you can still look put-together while being comfortable.

For this look, start with a fresh face and add a touch of your favorite moisturizer.

Then add an illuminating primer for a radiant appearance. My favorite is the Revlon Photoready Skinlights in Bronze. Next step is your foundation. Since you are planning on staying in for the evening, use a lightweight foundation such as L’Oreal True Match. It has a light to medium coverage and won’t look too heavy while you enjoy that delicious bowl of popcorn.

After adding foundation, set your face with a dusting of powder. This will make sure the foundation doesn’t go anywhere.

Now onto the eyes. Because we are staying in, it’s best to do a natural look. Sweep a light brown color into the crease of your eyes and blend. Add a pop of shimmery cream shadow into the corners of your eyes to create an awake look, and the eyeshadow is complete.

After the eyeshadow, curl your lashes and add your favorite mascara. Sweep a light peachy blush onto your checks and a matte bronzer onto your temples and cheeks to complete the look. Throw your hair into a simple bun and pop in your favorite romantic comedy for a relaxing evening at home.

2. Dinner for two

Planning on dinner at your favorite restaurant for Valentine’s Day? This requires a more glamorous look, since the two of you will most likely be taking photos together. Start your makeup routine the same way as look No. 1 and then put on your favorite foundation. For photography, I really like Make Up For Ever HD Foundation. It won’t reflect a white cast in photos and looks flawless on the skin.

Set your foundation with a powder and then choose a soft pink blush to apply to the apples of your cheeks. Make sure to blend back along your cheekbones into your hairline. Next pick a matte contour powder to add some depth to your face. Anastasia’s contour palette by Sephora is my holy grail product. Choose the cooler tone powder to achieve a seamless contour.

For the eyes, a bronze smokey eye will look beautiful for dinner. With any eyeshadow look, you should start with a transition color all over your crease. For this look, the Lorac Pro Palette is perfect. Use a light brown color, such as taupe, for your transition color in the crease. Then take a flat shader brush and pop taupe all over your lid. This will start as our base. Next add a gold shade all over your lid. Then take a darker matte brown, (like “Sable”) and sweep this into the outer corner of your eye. Take a touch of black or very dark brown shadow and add that into the outer corner and slightly into the crease. Make sure you blend all of the shadows together for a smooth look.

You can then add eyeliner if you like. A small wing is my favorite way to take this look to the next level. Stila’s Stay All Day Waterproof Eyeliner is my favorite for wings. Top the eyes off with mascara and you are done.

For the lips, choose something that has staying power. Liquid lipsticks are my go-to for date night. They go on liquid and dry into a nice matte finish that won’t go anywhere, no matter how much you eat or drink. For this look, try pairing a brown-toned nude such as Riot from Limecrime Velvetines.

For your hair, curl it using a one-inch curling iron for relaxed loose waves. Make sure to add a touchable hairspray to complete the look, and you are ready for a night on the town.

3. Girls’ Night Out

So you aren’t going to dinner and don’t have a significant other to celebrate the holiday with? Well, have a girls’ night out! For this look, you should be fun and creative. Do a foundation and blush routine that you feel most comfortable with and then move onto the eyes. Then, it’s all about the lips. A red lip for Valentine’s Day is the best. Some of my favorite red lipsticks are Wicked by Limecrime, Olivia by Nars and Paint the Town by Covergirl. To achieve a flawless lip that stays all night, line your lips with a similar liner and then apply 2 coats of the lip color while blotting (patting softly with a tissue) in between. This will insure that the color stays put.

For the eyes, less is more with a bold lip. Dust a cream color all over the lid with a soft brown in the crease. Add a dramatic but thin wing to complete the look.

Because you are being bold with the lip, it’s best to stick to simple hair. I like to put my hair into a half up half down look. It keeps my hair out of my face while still showing my length. Mix up the standard look by putting the top half of your hair into a high bun for a more editorial look.

Whatever your plans are for Valentine’s day, we have you covered. Don’t be afraid to mix and match some tips and tricks from everything to create your perfect look for the day. No matter what look you decide to create, don’t forget to be confident because that is what shows off your beauty the most.

@ChronyArts