Utah Women’s Basketball Continues Winning Streak Against Oral Roberts

AA

University of Utah Utes Women’s Basketball Team Forward Andrea Torres (3) scores from a free throw during an NCAA Basketball match vs. the South Dakota Coyotes at the Jon M. Huntsman Center in Salt Lake City, Utah on Saturday, Nov. 16, 2019. (Photo by Abu Asib | The Daily Utah Chronicle)

By Adam Cochran, Sports Writer

The University of Utah women’s basketball team (5-3, 0-0 Pac-12) beat the Oral Roberts Golden Eagles 78-58 at the Jon M. Huntsman Center. This win extends Utah’s winning streak to five games. The Utes were in control for most of the game, always leading after the beginning of the first quarter.

Game Recap

The Utes got off to a slow start as they committed five turnovers in the first five minutes of the game and trailed 9-8. They did not commit another turnover for the rest of the quarter, and they stormed off on a 18-6 run thanks to four 3-pointers from Julie Brosseau, which created a 26-15 lead at the end of the first period.

“[Maurane Corbin] really found me on the three-point line and Andrea [Torres] set me great screens so I could shoot,” Brosseau said. “I didn’t do much. They just set me up for those shots.”

The second quarter was much of the same. The Utes outscored the Golden Eagles 19-8. Utah shot 75% from three-point range for the half, led by Brosseau and Brynna Maxwell with four and three 3-pointers, respectively. The Utes also committed only two turnovers in the second quarter to take a commanding 45-23 lead into the locker room.

The Utes put it in cruise control in the second half and fought off the Golden Eagles’ comeback attempts. Despite being outscored by the Golden Eagles by 2 points in the second half, the Utes’ lead from the first half and their pesky defense proved too much for the Golden Eagles to overcome.

“There seemed to be a little bit of a lack of intensity,” said Head Coach Lynne Roberts. “When that happens, you miss shots that when you’re dialed in, locked in and laser-focused, you make. I think it’s a good problem to have when you win by 20 and feel like you didn’t play very well.”

Statistical Leaders

Brosseau led the Utes with 14 points, her highest scoring game for Utah, finishing 80% from beyond the arc. Maxwell added 13 points for the Utes on 5-7 shooting and perfect from 3-point range, making three from beyond the arc. Lola Pendande continued her impressive freshman season, scoring 11 points to go with her five rebounds and four blocks. Torres added 10 points off the bench and pulled down a team-high seven rebounds. Kemery Martín led the Utes in assists, finding a teammate for a basket four times.

“I think we’re figuring out what it means to play up-tempo and with tempo without being out of control,” Roberts said. “I always want my teams to play up-tempo and with tempo, but the first couple games it was sloppy with a lot of bad shots. Our shot selection is getting better. That’s why we are shooting better. We didn’t shoot well inside today which is bizarre, but we’re shooting really well from outside. It just takes time.”

The Utes finished with 11 turnovers, only committing six in the last 35 minutes of the game. Utah also finished with 16 assists, assisting on 52% of their baskets. They finished 61.1% from three, and 44.3% from the field. The Utes also won the rebounding battle 48-47.

“We’re a pretty new group, so we’re figuring out how to play together,” Maxwell said. “It’s coming along from the first couple of games until now. I think every game is an improvement with team chemistry on the court.”

Up Next for the Utes

The Utes will welcome in the Nevada Wolfpack (4-2, 0-0 Mountain West) to the Huntsman Center on Saturday, Dec. 14. The game will tip-off at 11:30 am.

@ACochranSports