From Ancient Greece to Vietnam: “Herakles” gets a modern makeover

Before the “Zero to Hero” Disney Hercules emerged, it was preceded by a much more somber and original plot, from an ancient Greek society, known as “Herakles.”

The Athenian tragedian, Euripides, penned the original story “Herakles” performed as early as 410 BC. It was this particular tale in Greek mythology from which our well known “Hercules” scenario came about. Next month the Classical Greek Theatre Festival (CGTF) at Westminster is performing the original narrative in their new, innovative production of “Herakles.”

The play, directed by Hugh Hanson and based off of a recent American translation by poet Anne Carson, follows main character Herakles as he returns home from war to save his family from the treacherous Lycus. Upon saving them, however, Herakles is later triggered to kill his wife and children by the goddesses Iris and Madness personified.

The artists at the CGTF and Westminster, consisting of both professional and student actors, have decided to portray Euripides’ rarely told story; with a twist. “Herakles is a recognized mythological character and that presents an immediate interest. However, I think there will also be an interest because we are casting this well-known story in the year 1969 during the Vietnam War” Hanson said.

Herakles_TheseusFollowing Herakles’ journey home from war, this depiction will focus on the effects of PTSD in war veterans. “The aim is towards combat veterans as a way to help them relieve stress and to help them get rid of the guilt of killing people. In the story, Herakles himself is invaded with madness — PTSD — and kills his family,” said Hanson.

Enlisting a myriad of performance elements, Hanson and the rest of the production team want it clear that this lyrical creation is making a statement. “We aren’t changing anything in the play, we are just placing it in an era to make a comment about PTSD,” he said.

A supporting aspect of this is the unique placement of the chorus, Hanson explained. “In Greek theater, the chorus is a representation of society as a whole. Our chorus is made up of two very large veterans from WWI and WWII, representing different characters. Veterans are an iconic point of our society.”

To add to the theatrical element, these veterans are handcrafted puppets from master designer and puppeteer Glenn Brown, with costumes by Melanie Nelson and set design styled by Spencer Brown. The production also boasts original music played live by Ryan Fedor.HERAKLESgonemad

Students in particular would appreciate the courtesy lecture series held before each performance. U professor and founder of CGTF, Jim Svendsen, will give a brief orientation about “Herakles” and answer any questions the audience might have.

Mixing modern societal issues with illustrious classics, the CGTF and Westminister are urging students and viewers alike to reevaluate and analyze our very own communities and see what we can do to contribute.

The tour of “Herakles” begins on Sept. 2 and continues thru Sept. 25, playing at various performance venues throughout Utah. Tickets for students are $7.

For ticket information please contact each venue or visit their website here. The Westminster box office can be reached at 801-832-2457.

WHEN: Sept. 2–3 & 9–10, 7:30 p.m., Westminster College, Courage Theatre

Sept. 17, 7:30 p.m., West Valley City, UCCC Amphitheater

Sept. 19, 5:00 p.m., Brigham Young University, The de Jong Concert Hall

Sept. 20, 7:30 p.m., Weber State University, Wildcat Theater

Sept. 24–25, 9:00 a.m., Red Butte Garden Amphitheatre