Awards keep piling up for Alex Smith

U quarterback Alex Smith was named The Sporting News’ Player of the Year Wednesday, adding yet another accolade to an already impressive rsum.

“It’s a huge honor,” Smith said. “It’s pretty surreal. I keep expecting to wake up. It’s a tribute to the people around me.”

“My teammates are the ones who got me here,” he added.

Smith became the first Ute to win the award, and has the chance to break more ground for the Utes this weekend when the remainder of the college football awards are passed out.

Smith will be in Orlando, Fla., on Thursday, attending the Home Depot Football Awards, where he is up for three major honors: the Davey O’Brien Award for the nation’s best quarterback, the Walter Camp Football Foundation Player of the Year Award, and the Cingular Wireless/ABC Sports All-America Player of the Year Award.

“I’m looking forward to [the ceremony,]” Smith said. “Especially being from Utah, we’re pretty isolated as far as what we’ve accomplished. It will be good to see all those other people you continually hear about and hear what they think about us.”

Friday travel might also be in the works for Smith, who would have to fly from Orlando to New York City if he is named one of the finalists for the Heisman Trophy, college football’s most prestigious award. The Heisman winner will be announced live on Saturday, Dec. 11 from New York City’s Downtown Athletic Club. Smith finds out today if he will be invited to the proceedings.

“Right now [my ticket] is just round trip,” Smith said. “We’ll find out tomorrow if it’s a circle ticket.”

Smith has already won the ESPN The Magazine CoSIDA Football All-American of the Year award given to the best scholar athlete in the sport.

Smith’s merits for the award season include 2,624 yards passing, 28 passing touchdowns, 563 yards rushing, and 10 rushing touchdowns. He is also ranked No. 2 in passing efficiency and led the Utes to the first ever mid-major conference BCS bowl berth.

These stats alone are enough to rank Smith among the nation’s best players, but when his academics are considered, he’s in a class by himself. Smith, a junior, already has a bachelor’s degree in economics with a 3.74 cumulative G.P.A., and is currently studying for his master’s in the same field.

In addition to national decorations, Smith has also won the MWC Offensive Player of the Year award, and was named to the MWC’s first team.