Group promotes African culture

By Jaime Winston

When Kenyan student Patrick Shem came to the U for his doctorate degree, he was picked up at the airport and a house was available for him to stay in near campus.

“One of the main functions of the African Student Union is that they assist students from Africa when they come here,” said Shem, the secretary of the ASU, who earned his undergraduate and master’s degree at the University of Nairobi. “We’ve got quite a number of students from all over the continent of Africa.”

The ASU provides places to stay and jobs for students coming from Africa. They also organize gatherings for African students, guest lectures, performances at events, such as Plaza Fest and Crimson Nights, projects with groups on and off campus, charity projects and an African Film Series.

Last year, the group invited ambassadors from South Africa and Nigeria to give guest lectures. It performed an African song at International Week for U President Michael Young and created a website, www.utah.edu/Africa.

The group also supports African refugees from countries such as Burundi, Somalia and Sudan.

One of the toughest challenges faced by African students is the change in the community setting, said Chawa Mahlaya, president of the ASU. Mahlaya, originally from Botswana, said that in Africa general attitudes are based around the community, while American attitudes are more individualistic.

Another challenge is finding other African students on campus.

“Sometimes you don’t even see a black person for the first 20 days you’re here, and when you see a black person, you’re not sure if they’re African or African-American,” Mahlaya said.

“In America professors are so informal, so relaxed,” Shem said. “In Kenya we follow the British system. Professors are so formal that you address them by their titles. I’m getting used to it, but I’m having a hard time calling my professor Jennifer.”

Mahlaya found the ASU through an international orientation. Shem was contacted by the International Center by the group when he arrived in Utah.

Often a department on campus will contact the group about an African student who is coming to Utah. However, many Africans who come to Utah for school end up staying in hotels for weeks before finding a place to live, Mahlaya said.

“We’re trying to find out how we can get a better reception for African students coming in,” she said.

The International Center has a privacy policy, which doesn’t allow student information to be released to the group. Over the coming year, the group plans to work with the International Center to find ways of letting more African students know about the ASU before they arrive in Utah.

The ASU also plans to work with another group on campus, the Sudanese Students Voice. The two groups may be able to combine resources to assist African students. In addition, the ASU would like to get in touch with other international groups, as many international students share the same struggles, Mahlaya said.

The group can also be used as a resource for all students who want to learn about Africa.

“We would love for people to understand us and not just take images from TV,” Mahlaya said. She would like the U community to be more involved in African activities, and if they have a question, to simply ask rather than make a judgment.

The group is open to all students who feel they associate or would like to learn more about Africa and African cultures.

“It doesn’t matter where they come from. If they have an interest in Africa they can join,” Shem said.

Chris Olola, a former president of the ASU, said that the group impacted his life tremendously.

“Student unions are so great in helping not only the group leaders, but all students in having in-depth knowledge of how the university is run, how to give charity, develop non-academic skills and feel you belong?and are at home away from home.”

Mahlaya said the best part about being a member is the get-togethers, because it’s a time when the students can express what is on their mind and eat traditional African meals that many haven’t seen in years.