The Word

By Trevor Hale, Red Pulse Editor

Chuck Ragan
Oct. 24, 6 p.m.
$15.50
In The Venue
(579 W. 200 South)
The revival of the singer-songwriter has been in full effect the past couple of years, but almost none of them have been as welcome as Chuck Ragan. For nearly 15 years, Ragan toured the world time and time again as the singer and guitarist for Florida band Hot Water Music. When the band broke up in 2006, it left a void in the punk scene, which has been scrambling for a replacement ever since. Although he might not be back in the studio with the rest of the boys, Ragan is still touring solo, playing toned down, alt-country tunes. It’s a bit of a departure from what people might be used to seeing and hearing, but the resemblance is still there and the songs are still top-notch. If you never witnessed Hot Water Music live, you missed a great band. Don’t make the same mistake with Ragan.

Wolves in the Throne Room
Oct. 28, 8 p.m.
$7
Burt’s Tiki Lounge
(726 S. State)
Whenever the record label Southern Lord is involved, you’d better be ready for some gloomy, heavy and downright brutal metal. Wolves in the Throne Room might not embody all of those traits, but they are definitely a metal band worthy of the Southern Lord seal of approval. Hailing from Olympia, Wash., (which is surprising8212;you’ll understand if you’ve ever spent any time there), the Wolves mix together all the defining metal traits, as well as a little tinge of folk here and there. In a surprising twist, however, Wolves in the Throne Room are also very eco-friendly rural farm, so it should be interesting to see how they react to the thick haze of smoke that perpetually fills Burt’s.

Coliseum
Oct. 29, 8 p.m.
Price TBD
Burt’s Tiki Lounge (726 S. State)
How Burt’s Tiki Lounge managed to get two top-notch metal bands in the same week is beyond me, but there’s no reason to pass up a chance to catch Coliseum at such an intimate place. This Kentucky three-piece is the embodiment of DIY metal, having toured, recorded and released a number of albums themselves before officially signing with renowned metal label Relapse Records in late 2006. Their newest album, No Salvation is their best material yet. It melds elements of punk and hardcore with an urgency that bands rarely show today. Their live act is the stuff of legends that everyone should experience at some point or another. Why not make it this time?