Report Card: Utes vs. Washington State

Brent Uberty

- Brent Uberty

Travis Wilson – C+

I don’t want to be too harsh on the Utah quarterback here, as the game wasn’t played under the most ideal conditions. Yes, he completed less than half of his passes and no, he didn’t score any touchdowns, but the weather was brutal. Don’t even try to compare him to his Wazzu counterpart, Connor Halliday, either, because Halliday is a much better player than Wilson is. In better weather and with better line protection, Wilson may not have had such a poor game.

Devontae Booker – A+

I don’t think I’d be alone by saying Booker was one of the, if not the, MVP of this game for Utah. The running back rushed for a career high in a Ute uniform, registering 182 yards and Utah’s lone offensive touchdown of the game. Maybe he played a part in the poor protection for Wilson, as he isn’t exactly the best blocking back in the world, but I think gaining over half of the offense’s yards throughout the game warrants this grade.

Dres Anderson – F

Here at the U, Anderson has become a fan favorite with not only his play on the field, but his charming personality. He is a big talker and he loves the spotlight, but he couldn’t answer the call tonight. Anderson was targeted numerous times throughout the game, but was finished the contest without a catch. Anderson had his chances dropping two potential long TD passes. Wasn’t your best game, Red Rocket.

Kalein Clay – B

Clay continues to dazzle the crowd with his punt returns as he returned, yet again, another punt for a touchdown. This marks Clay’s third punt return for a touchdown this season, tying the school record previously held by NFL staple Steve Smith. However, he brought his grade down a bit when later in the game, Clay took a pass from Wilson down the sideline when a WSU defender stripped and recovered the football from the Ute wideout. The turnover led to a Washington State touchdown.

Andy Phillips – C-
I hate to be so hard on “Automatic Andy”, as he has been consistent thus far in 2014, but he’s got to be feeling sorry for himself and his teammates after this game. Phillips made two important field goals in the game to stretch the Utes lead, but the missed 46-yard field goal in the second quarter proved to be costly. With the final score being 28-27, if he had made that field goal (which he did from almost the exact same spot later in that quarter), Utah may still be undefeated.

@GriffDoug