In Photos: Best of the Week 1/23-1/29

The Daily Utah Chronicle photo desk presents the best photos of the week taken by our team of photojournalists.

Politics were heavily featured this week, ranging from a initiative by ASUU, to University honors to a three-term U.S. Senator, to a major speech by Utah Gov. Gary Herbert. In athletics, basketball and gymnastics also were in action, winning all their home contests.

ASUU Vice President Anthony Fratto speaks to the Assembly on behalf of Indigenous people during an ASUU Assembly meeting in the Union Saltair Room on Tuesday, Jan. 26, 2015. The Assembly passed Joint Resolution 4, which formally proposes the U change recognizing Columbus Day into Indigenous Peoples' Day. (Chris Ayers, Daily Utah Chronicle)
ASUU Vice President Anthony Fratto speaks to the Assembly on behalf of Indigenous people during an ASUU Assembly meeting in the Union Saltair Room on Tuesday, Jan. 26, 2015. The Assembly passed Joint Resolution 4, which formally proposes the U change recognizing Columbus Day into Indigenous Peoples’ Day. (Chris Ayers, Daily Utah Chronicle)

ASUU Debates Replacing Columbus Day with Indigenous Peoples’ Day

Co-Head Coach Tom Farden, left, celebrates after senior Kailah Delaney completes her vault performance during the Utah v Oregon State gymnastics meet at the Jon M. Huntsman Center, Saturday, Jan. 23, 2016. The Red Rocks won the meet 196.125-195.125. (Madeline Rencher, Daily Utah Chronicle)

Gymnastics: Rowe gives MVP-caliber performance in Oregon State win

Former U.S. Senator Robert Bennett acknowledges the crowd during a ceremony to induct senator Bennett into the Hinckley Institute of Politics Hall of Fame in the Hinckley Caucus Room in OSH, Wednesday, Jan. 27, 2016. (Chris Samuels, Daily Utah Chronicle)

Hinckley Institute Inducts Former Senator Bob Bennett Into Hall of Fame

The men's basketball team listens to the national anthem before a Pac-12 regular season game against the Cal Golden Bears at the Jon M. Huntsman Center, Wednesday, Jan. 27, 2016. The Runnin' Utes won the contest 73-64. (Chris Samuels, Daily Utah Chronicle)
The men’s basketball team listens to the national anthem before a Pac-12 regular season game against the Cal Golden Bears at the Jon M. Huntsman Center, Wednesday, Jan. 27, 2016. The Runnin’ Utes won the contest 73-64. (Chris Samuels, Daily Utah Chronicle)

Men’s Basketball: Runnin’ Utes win rematch with Cal behind Poeltl’s 21 points

Utah Gov. Gary Herbert gives the State of the State address in front of state legislators at the State Capitol in Salt Lake City, Wednesday, Jan. 27, 2016. (Mike Sheehan, Daily Utah Chronicle)

Gov. Herbert Addresses Education in Annual “State of the State” Address

Guests attend the Sundance Film Festival in Park City, Saturday, Jan. 23rd, 2016. (Peter Creveling, Daily Utah Chronicle)

How Even Starving Students Can Experience the Joys of Sundance

Junior Baely Rowe performs her beam routine during the Utah v Oregon State gymnastics meet at the Jon M. Huntsman Center, Saturday, Jan. 23, 2016. The Red Rocks won the meet 196.125-195.125. (Madeline Rencher, Daily Utah Chronicle)