Gymnastics: Georgia takes on Georgia as Red Rocks head to Athens

be8d0f3d-f493-4ab4-b9e2-fbfc99380959

In her fourth year in the program, Georgia Dabritz is getting used to the jokes. The Utah gymnastics team has faced the University of Georgia at least once each year since 1983, and the long-time rivalry has caused Dabritz some groans during her time at the U, but also some smiles.

“There’s always jokes about that,” Dabritz said referring to the team with which she shares a name.

The Utes will continue their rivalry with Georgia on Saturday in Athens, and even with the obvious jokes that come when the two teams face off, it’s provided some memorable moments for Dabritz. During a meet in her freshman season, a sign appeared in the Huntsman when the Bulldogs came to town that read, “Utah has the only Georgia worth cheering for.”

“That is one of my favorite things about this rivalry,” Dabritz said.

The last time the Utes traveled to Georgia, the senior had to almost abandon her name entirely.

“[Utah co-head coach] Megan Marsden was like, ‘I can’t call you Georgia, it’s “Peaches” all weekend,’ ” Dabritz said.

Even her nickname comes from Georgia, as her Utah teammates coined it based off the Georgia peach and did so before she even reached campus.

“I get here, and they were like, ‘We already have your nickname picked out,’ ” Dabritz said.

It’s common for the Utes to pick nicknames for future teammates. For example, when Haley Lange was set to head to Salt Lake, the Utes already had Hailee Hansen on the squad, so they had to find the new Haley another name. Usually the team isn’t terribly original and just plays off the gymnasts’ name, as Lange ended up being simply called, “Lange.”

Other Utes who have received the nickname treatment are Maddy Stover (Mad Dog), Baely Rowe (Browe) and Kailah Delaney (Dabritz says there are too many to count).

Even some fans have gotten in on the fun of nicknaming the gymnasts.

Freshman Kari Lee said two fans have taken to calling her Bruce, in reference to Bruce Lee.

“Because of the karate, and he kicks butt,” said Lee.

During the preseason Utah co-head coach Greg Marsden had his own name for Lee: Leroy. But now the freshman says she pretty much responds to anything.

When Peaches, Mad Dog and Bruce head to Georgia this weekend, they will be looking to do something that has only been done once in program history — finish a regular season undefeated. If they accomplish the feat, don’t expect them to be too excited, though.

“In the grand scheme of things, our mission and our goals are something beyond that,” Megan Marsden said. “Winning every meet only tells one part of the story because so much is based on score, so the good news is we have had some nearly record-setting scores, and that’s something I am more proud of, because that’s what it will take to contend with the best.”

The meet is set to begin 2 p.m. MT on Saturday in Athens.

@millerjryan